Janssen BioPharma, Inc., a member of Johnson and Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Senior Scientist, Oligonucleotide Chemistry - Oligonucleotide Discovery, RNA & Targeted Therapeutics, located in South San Francisco, CA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science. We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research and Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
RNA and Targeted Therapeutics is an organization within Discovery Sciences committed to the delivery of high-quality drug candidates in the novel synthetic modalities space working closely with all six Janssen Therapeutic Areas (TA) discovery teams.
In this laboratory-based position, the successful candidate will partner with both internal and external oligonucleotide chemistry teams to generate innovative solutions to synthetic and drug design challenges within the context of nucleic acid drug discovery projects. She/he will maintain close interactions with computer assisted design scientists, biologists, pharmacologists, and pharmaceutical development scientists. Strong people skills and the ability to thrive in a team and goal driven environment are key attributes.
- As a dynamic project leader, drive and direct oligonucleotide chemistry functions for siRNA, antisense, or other nucleic acid discovery projects, working in concert with partners in molecular and cellular biology, pharmacology, computational chemistry, ADME, structural biology, chemical development, and other key functions
- Analyze screening data, perform literature reviews, design, propose, and execute nucleic acid chemistry plans, coordinate chemistry and biology data to support oligonucleotide compound progression and patent strategies
- Developing and executing clear synthetic strategies towards chemically modified single and double stranded oligonucleotide sequences and monomers using state-of-the-art synthetic methodologies.
- Participate in portfolio and stage-gate reviews, lead the preparation and presentation of dossiers for clinical candidate nomination and compound advancement
- Maintaining a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting
- Supervise and direct synthetic chemistry activities at contract research organizations (CROs)
- Presenting data and reports on project status at individual, group, and departmental meetings.
- Drafting, executing and serving as lead author on research published in peer reviewed journals, and presenting work at scientific conferences
- PhD in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry or nucleic acid chemistry or other related chemistry field is required
- Postdoctoral experience with an emphasis on oligonucleotide or nucleoside chemistry is preferred
- A minimum of 3 years experience in the biopharmaceutical or biotechnology industry is required
- Experience in research and development of RNAi Therapeutics, with proven track record, is preferred
- Highly skilled in the multistep synthesis, purification, and characterization of small molecules is preferred
- Strong experience in the solid phase synthesis of oligonucleotides and/or nucleoside/nucleotide synthesis is preferred
- Strong understanding of nucleic acid modalities, modification chemistries, sequence selection, and mechanism of action is preferred
- Experience as a project leader in the biopharmaceutical or biotechnology industry is strongly preferred
- Strong track record of scientific contributions including peer reviewed first-author publications, patent applications, and/or presentations at major national meetings is preferred
- Record of maintaining a strong lab presence directly is required
- This position is located in South San Francisco, CA, and may require approximately 10% travel.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-California-South San Francisco-260 E. Grand Avenue
Janssen BioPharma, Inc. (6224)