Senior Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry - Discovery Chemistry - La Jolla, CA
- La Jolla, CA
Janssen Research and Development, LLC, a member of Johnson and Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Senior Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry - Discovery Chemistry, located in San Diego, CA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science. We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research and Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
Discovery Chemistry is a stand-alone organization within Discovery Sciences committed to the delivery of high-quality drug candidates working closely with all six Janssen Therapeutic Areas (TA) discovery teams.
Our mission requires strategic thinking, portfolio mindset and deep scientific expertise in several disciplines including chemistry, cellular and molecular pharmacology, enzymology, and screening technologies coupled with an ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners. Building on a strong legacy of success, we are currently seeking an outstanding individual to join our team as Senior Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry, Discovery Chemistry. This role that offers tremendous growth opportunity within a dynamic and science-driven organization. This position will be based at our drug discovery site in La Jolla, CA.
- Maintaining a high level of personal lab productivity and presence.
- A deep understanding of ADME, pharmacokinetics leading to the independent design and synthesis of drug like molecules.
- Generate novel, testable hypotheses to enable clear decision making.
- Work closely with partners in molecular and cellular biology, pharmacology, computational chemistry, ADME, structural biology, chemical development, and other key functions
- Analyze screening data, perform literature reviews, design, propose, and execute medicinal chemistry plans, coordinate chemistry and biology data to support compound progression and patent strategies
- Provide scientific direction and leadership for synthetic and medicinal chemistry activities of internal & external FTEs
- Supervise and direct synthetic chemistry activities at contract research organizations (CROs)
- Participate in shaping and implementing strategies that support medicinal chemistry growth objectives at Janssen
- Maintain a significant level of knowledge and management of laboratory research
- PhD in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry is required
- Postdoctoral experience is preferred
- A minimum of 3 or more years' experience in the biopharmaceutical industry, with proven track record in medicinal chemistry, and key contributions to clinical candidate selection, is required
- Experience as a project leader in the biopharmaceutical industry is strongly preferred
- Experience in one or more therapeutic areas/target classes is preferred
- Expert knowledge of modern methods of synthetic and medicinal chemistry is required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills is required
- Experience working with computational chemists as part of project team in design of drug targets is preferred
- Track record of scientific contributions including peer reviewed publications, patent applications, and/or presentations at major national meetings is required
- Record of maintaining a strong lab presence directly is required
- This position is located in San Diego, CA, and may require up to 5% travel
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-California-San Diego-
United States-California-La Jolla
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)
Back to top