Janssen Research and Development, LLC, a member of Johnson and Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Senior Principal Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry - Discovery Chemistry, located in San Diego, CA (La Jolla area).
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science. We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research and Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
Discovery Chemistry is a stand-alone organization within Discovery Sciences committed to the delivery of high-quality drug candidates working closely with all six Janssen Therapeutic Areas (TA) discovery teams.
Our mission requires strategic thinking, portfolio mindset and deep scientific expertise in several disciplines including chemistry, cellular and molecular pharmacology, enzymology, and screening technologies coupled with an ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners. Building on a strong legacy of success, we are currently seeking an outstanding individual to join our team as Principal Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry, Discovery Chemistry. This role that offers tremendous growth opportunity within a dynamic and science-driven organization. This position will be based at our drug discovery site in La Jolla, CA within Discovery Chemistry which includes medicinal chemistry, targeted protein degradation and parallel medicinal chemistry.
- As a dynamic project leader, drive and direct medicinal chemistry functions for one or more drug discovery projects, working in concert with partners in molecular and cellular biology, pharmacology, computational chemistry, ADME, structural biology, chemical development, and other key functions
- Analyze screening data, perform literature reviews, design, propose, and execute medicinal chemistry plans, coordinate chemistry and biology data to support compound progression and patent strategies
- Provide scientific direction and leadership for synthetic and medicinal chemistry activities of internal & external FTEs
- Lead a team of medicinal chemists with a range of experiences
- Independently and collaboratively identifies and delivers high quality drug candidates
- Participate in shaping and implementing strategies that support the overall medicinal chemistry growth objectives at Janssen
- Supervise and direct synthetic chemistry activities at contract research organizations (CROs)
- Participate in portfolio and stage-gate reviews, lead the preparation and presentation of dossiers for clinical candidate nomination and compound advancement
- Participate in crafting and implementing strategies that support medicinal chemistry growth objectives at Janssen
- Serve as a scientific expert in medicinal chemistry with both internal and external partners and provide recommendations regarding new targets and emerging external opportunities
- Ensure optimal interaction/communication and provide updates on project status to Discovery Sciences leadership
- Maintain a significant level of knowledge and management of laboratory research
- Maintain significant personal laboratory presence
- Candidates with experience in high throughput chemistry, such as parallel medicinal chemistry or high throughput experimentation will be considered for the medicinal chemistry or parallel medicinal chemistry group
- Candidates with experience in targeted protein degradation will be considered for the medicinal chemistry or targeted protein degradation group
- PhD in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry or closely related field is required
- Postdoctoral experience is preferred
- A minimum of 10 or more years of experience in the biopharmaceutical industry, with proven track record in medicinal chemistry, and key contributions to clinical candidate selection, is required
- Experience and demonstrated success as a project leader in the biopharmaceutical industry is required
- Broad experience and proven accomplishments in medicinal chemistry, with operational skills for managing discovery programs at the level of a senior chemist/team leader and a proven track record of delivering clinical candidates is required
- A strong track record of progressing small molecules into clinical development is required
- Strong problem-solving skills for developing creative, innovative solutions, and meeting project objectives are required
- Ability to integrate multiple R&D disciplines into a successful strategic project plan is required
- Experience in one or more therapeutic areas/target classes is preferred
- Experience leading cross functional discovery teams is strongly preferred
- Expert knowledge of modern methods of synthetic and medicinal chemistry is required
- Solid understanding of cellular/molecular biology, biochemistry, disease pharmacology, mechanisms of drug metabolism and molecular toxicology, pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic sciences, and formulations for the in vivo evaluation of drug candidates is preferred
- Experience working with computational chemists as part of project team in design of drug targets is preferred
- Experience with biophysical techniques is required. Examples may include X-ray crystallography and macromolecular NMR.
- Strong background of scientific contributions including peer reviewed first-author publications, patent applications, and/or presentations at major national meetings is required
- Record of maintaining a strong lab presence directly is required
- This position is located in San Diego, CA and may require up to 10% travel
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-California-San Diego-3210 Merryfield Row
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)