Senior Mechanical Engineer
- Santa Clara, CA
Robotics & Digital Solutions, part of the Johnson & Johnson family of companies, is recruiting for a Senior Mechanical Engineer, located Santa Clara, CA.
Robotics & Digital Solutions is part of Ethicon, Inc., a global leader in surgery with products and solutions found in almost every operating room around the world. Ethicon has made significant contributions to surgery for more than 100 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including robotics, digital solutions, sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com .
Senior Mechanical Engineer who will support the design and development of robotic systems for medical applications. This Mechanical Engineer will work closely with engineers from other teams in order to design and develop robotic equipment that meets clinical, user, and safety requirements.
Core Job Responsibilities
- As a member of the Advanced Development Mechanical Engineering team, you will contribute to the development of a robotic platform for surgical applications focusing on large systems, complex actuators, structural designs, instrument manipulators, instrument interfaces, robotic setup joint systems and electronic packaging.
- Design and create electromechanical prototypes using in-house rapid prototyping capabilities.
- Provide hands-on, troubleshooting, process and manufacturing support as well as designing, implementing, integrating and testing hardware solutions in a fast pace environment with a quick development cycle.
- Create design solutions utilizing engineering methods with good documentation processes, releasing design documentation through an ECO process.
- Establish individual and team goals consistent with overall project goals.
- As the company grows, you will be responsible for sustaining certain aspects of production (including new features, yield improvements, DFM, process related cost reductions, etc.)
- Must be capable of working independently and in a team while being flexible, self-motivated, curious and willing to revolutionize the world of medical robotics.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or similar required; MSME preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of working experience designing and building electromechanical systems and/or robots is required.
- Proven experience with complex mechanisms and automation is required.
- Ideal candidate has experience designing simple solutions for complex medical products that meet or exceed patient and physician needs.
- Proven experience with both high and low power, small and large brushed and brushless motors, various encoder or sensor types is required.
- Proven experience with drivetrain-related components such as gears, lead screws, splines, cams, linear guides, belts or pulleys is required.
- Comfortable with all phases of product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification & validation, qualification, and transfer to manufacturing.
- Proven experience and proficiency using CAD to design and document both large and small parts and assemblies is required. SolidWorks experience preferred.
- Familiarity with making drawings and applicable drawing standards.
- Experience with PDM and/or Agile EC a plus.
- Hands-on with the proven ability to work well in a team environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of component manufacturing processes (including machining, sheet metal, rapid prototyping, sand casting, cast urethane, etc.) is required
- Mechanical design and analysis skills including statics, dynamics, kinematics, strength of materials and stress analysis is required.
- Strong understanding of component selection criteria, and design for reliability and manufacturability is required
- Experience with designing hardware products in an FDA or other regulated industry; comfortable with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis is required
- Familiarity with IEC-60601-1 a strong plus.
- Ability to travel up to 10%, domestic and international, is required
Do you want to be part of a diverse team delivering innovative products to market? Apply today!
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-California-Santa Clara-5490 Great America Pkwy
Auris Health, Inc. (6267)
Back to top