Senior Counsel, World Without Disease Accelerator
The Johnson & Johnson Law Department is currently recruiting for a Senior Counsel who will be primarily supporting the World Without Disease Accelerator (WWD). The position reports directly to the Vice President Law, Johnson & Johnson Innovation.
Caring for the world, one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 125 years. We embrace research and science -- bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people. Employees of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies work with partners in health care to touch the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world.
With $71.9 billion in 2016 sales, Johnson & Johnson is the world's most comprehensive and broadly-based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices markets. There are more than 265 Johnson & Johnson operating companies employing approximately 126,500 people and with products touching the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world. If you have the talent and desire to touch the world, Johnson & Johnson has the career opportunities to help make it happen.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer
For several years, Johnson & Johnson has been developing a long-term healthcare strategy based on the goals of preventing, intercepting and curing disease. The WWD Accelerator, a unit within Johnson & Johnson External Innovation, is charged with carrying out that strategy with a primary focus on creating solutions that eliminate disease through early detection, prevention, interception and cure. The WWD Accelerator was created in 2016, in part, from the following business units:
· Disease Interception Accelerator
· Janssen Diagnostics
· Janssen Human Microbiome Institute
· Janssen Immunosciences
· Janssen Prevention Center
with a view to extending core Janssen expertise while preparing to accelerate cross-sector disease initiatives and projects. To do this, the WWDA is strengthening existing capabilities and building new ones to support this future healthcare paradigm. The WWD Accelerator will identify innovation wherever it originates, and leverage relevant capabilities and competencies, build strategic alliances and seed transformative growth opportunities. These initiatives include support for regional incubators and venture capital investments.
As a Senior Counsel, you will:
• Sit on the board of the WWD Accelerator, advise its leadership and support the legal needs of the organization.
• Support Johnson & Johnson Innovation on external collaborations and projects initiated by Johnson & Johnson Innovation.
• Facilitate the drafting of equity investments, acquisitions, sponsored research, early stage product/patent licensing, and option agreements
• Manage IP due diligence, including freedom-to-operate and exclusivity reviews, the primary responsibility for which will reside within the Law Department's functional specialist groups
• Manage relationships with external firms, partners and/or outside counsel.
• Work closely with and be a trusted advisor to the WWD business leader and leadership team and participate in leadership meetings and negotiations.
• A Juris Doctor Degree and an US bar admission in good standing is required.
• A minimum of 10 years of legal experience at a top national or international law firm or in-house legal department of national or international reputation is required
• Experience with early stage licensing and acquisitions in the life sciences industry is strongly desirable.
• Familiarity with early stage IP and product licensing, university technology transfer contracts, university-based sponsored research agreements, startup company transactions and/or other similarly relevant technology-related transactions is required.
• Proven ability to provide outstanding legal services to a range of senior executives is required.
• Ability to negotiate and draft various strategic and commercial contracts, and to support several different transactions at the same time are required.
• Must have the ability to work in a highly matrixed but rewarding business environment to effectively partner across legal and other functional areas, such as healthcare compliance and regulatory affairs, and advise senior executives on critical strategic and legal decisions to be made on transactions.
• Ability to act both as a Board Attorney and a Transactional Attorney is required.
• Must be a self-starter with a positive attitude and high emotional intelligence.
• Must be able to travel up to 15% of the time to domestic and international destinations.
United States-New Jersey-New Brunswick
North America-United States-New Jersey-Raritan, North America-United States-New Jersey-Titusville
Johnson & Johnson (6067)
Meet Some of Johnson & Johnson's Employees
Business Operations Lead JLABS Houston, Johnson & Johnson Innovation
Diana oversees JLABS Houston site operations, supporting various areas of business including compliance, operating systems, workflows and relationship management.
Back to top