Senior Associate Scientist, Parallel Medicinal Chemistry - Discovery Chemistry - La Jolla, CA
- San Diego, CA
Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Senior Associate Scientist, Parallel Medicinal Chemistry - Discovery Chemistrylocated in La Jolla, CA (San Diego area).
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science.
We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal.Janssen Research & Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
We are seeking an experienced Bachelor's- or Master's -level medicinal chemist with excellent organic synthesis expertise and experience in the field of parallel synthesis and/or high throughput experimentation (HTE) to advance small molecule drug discovery programs toward the clinic. In this laboratory-based position, the successful candidate will partner with both internal and external medicinal chemistry teams to generate innovative solutions to synthetic and medicinal chemistry challenges within the context of small molecule drug discovery projects. She/he will work closely with other medicinal chemists, computational chemists, and biologists in a cross-functional team. Strong people skills and the ability to thrive in a multidisciplinary, goal driven environment are key attributes.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Maintaining a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting.
- Working with autonomy to design experiments, interpret large datasets, and propose next steps.
- Synthesizing drug-like molecules utilizing medicinal chemistry knowledge and an understanding of ADME, pharmacokinetics and optimal physicochemical properties.
- Identify opportunities to collaborate with medicinal chemistry teams to apply automated chemistry capabilities, such as parallel medicinal chemistry, high throughput experimentation (HTE) and high throughput purification (HTP) to accelerate the discovery chemistry programs.
- Minor maintenance and troubleshooting of common issues related to robotic instruments (Unchained Labs, Chemspeed, automated pipettors, Biotage reactor, etc) and other laboratory instruments (glovebox, UPLC, etc).
- Participate in the design of new automated workflows with the team as the need arise.
- Collaboratively supporting the advancement of compounds through in vitro and in vivo studies to identify development candidates.
- Collaboration with structure-based design groups to impact rational design of molecules.
- Working on novel, testable hypotheses to enable clear decision making.
- Contributing to scientific strategies and goals within a project team setting.
- Presenting data and reports on project status at individual and group meetings.
- Generating data for and serving as co-author on research published in peer reviewed journals and presenting work at scientific conferences.
- A Bachelor's Degree in a Chemistry discipline with at least 9 years of medicinal chemistry industry experience is required.
~ OR ~
- A Master's Degree in organic or medicinal chemistry with at least 6 years of medicinal chemistry industry experience is required.
- Experience in the design and synthesis of small molecules through parallel medicinal chemistry techniques and/or high throughput experimentation reaction screening is required.
- Previous experience with automated platforms and/or robotic instruments is preferred (examples may include: Unchained Labs, Chemspeed, automated pipettors, Biotage reactor, etc.)
- The ability to operate, maintain and troubleshoot minor issues with high throughput synthesis systems is preferred.
- Strong track record of achievement in medicinal chemistry, with a deep knowledge of modern synthetic, analytical techniques is required.
- Proven track record of scientific contributions including peer reviewed publications, patents and presentations is preferred.
- Independent thinking and the ability to effectively collaborate in a highly matrixed environment is required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including preparation of presentations is required.
- This position is based in our company location in San Diego, CA, and may require approximately 10% or less travel.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-California-San Diego-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)
Back to top