Scientific Director, Biomarkers Hepatitis
- Daly City, CA
The Infectious Diseases Biomarker group is recruiting for a Scientific Director Biomarkers Hepatitis, located in Antwerp (Belgium) or South San Francisco (USA), to support Janssen's exciting portfolio of assets in HBV.
At Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found.
Janssen Research & Development discovers and develops innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious diseases and vaccines, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. Please visit http://www.janssenrnd.com/ for more information. We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire us. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The Infectious Diseases (ID) Therapeutic Area of Janssen R&D is pioneering new treatment paradigms and has various assets in late discovery and clinical development. The ID Biomarkers team develops and executes on strategies that identify and implement novel biomarkers that aim to improve our understanding of the disease and of treatment efficacy and safety in late discovery and early clinical trials, to support clinical proof of relevance of novel treatment modalities, and to effectively enable stratification of patient segments according to disease subtypes and medical need.
- Lead a small team of scientists that plays a leading role in the design and execution of meaningful biomarker identification and implementation strategies during the different trajectory stages of discovery and clinical development of novel treatment modalities, in particular in the context of viral hepatitis B disease.
- Development and timely execution of specific biomarker plans in the various projects through partnering with various stakeholders in hepatitis project teams and scientists in the ID Biomarkers team. Describe the biomarker needs in projects and propose the most appropriate technical-scientific approaches that can address these specific needs.
- Identify and validate novel prognostic and predictive biomarkers (signatures) from high-dimensional biological data generated from internal projects and/or external data sources. Deliver biomarkers that impact on the progression and the delivery of the hepatitis programs.
- Drive scientific collaborations with external partners to develop novel insights from clinical samples into hepatitis disease biology and patient segmentation.
- Combine hepatitis disease knowledge with data analysis and statistical expertise to characterize disease mechanisms, mode of action for therapeutic interventions, and candidate biomarkers for the hepatitis disease area stronghold. Drive data integration, analysis, and interpretation of high-dimensional data from a variety of platforms including next-generation sequencing, gene expression platforms, flow cytometry, CyTOF, single cell NGS, proteomics, and spatial omics (IHC/ISH).
- Collaborate with Computational Sciences, Data Sciences, Quantitative Sciences, and R&D IT to implement data analysis approaches that address the biomarker needs for the hepatitis programs.
- Communicate and report (oral and written) on the scientific progress of biomarker research in the hepatitis programs to the various stakeholders, senior leadership, and external scientific community as appropriate.
- PhD, MD or MD/PhD in translational sciences or equivalent, with proven experience in biomarker research in the field of hepatitis, immunology, or immune-oncology.
- Minimum of 10 years of industry or relevant experience where direct 'hands-on' experience in biomarker research is required.
- Track record of developing and implementing impactful biomarker plans for discovery and clinical development programs is essential.
- Demonstrated experience with fit-for-purpose biomarker research platforms (genetic, transcriptomic, proteomics, cellular profiling, single-cell level, ...) in the setting of human translational studies, preferably in the context of infectious diseases or immunology.
- Depth of expertise in the development and implementation in clinical studies of validated biomarker assays for the analysis of both peripheral and tissue samples.
- Knowledge and understanding of the regulatory, legal and operational requirements of sample collection (biobank) and data handling for biomarker analyses in clinical studies.
- Decent understanding and insight in the selection and application of computational methodologies appropriate for high-dimensional data analysis in biomarker research.
- Supervisory experience and working in project teams is required.
- Solid written and oral presentation skills, with a convincing record of peer-reviewed publications and presentations at scientific conferences. Ability to clearly articulate scientific and operational concepts of biomarker research across functions, levels, and disciplines.
- Good planning, prioritization, problem solving, and organizational skills.
- Resilient, energetic, and enthusiastic; responding constructively to challenging new ideas and inputs.
What is in it for you?
- Contributing to our mission to continue to bring transformational new medicines topatients for a world without disease.
- Being part of a motivated, experienced and diverse research team in an innovative working environment
- Through mentoring programs, e-university and on the job training, we ensure your personal development in a global company
- A competitive salary, on-site sport accommodations, health/energy programs and other benefits for you and your family
- Flexible working hours (40 h/week), no fixed holiday planning and work life balance opportunities.
- Relocationsupport (practical support, destination services, cultural training, language classes, ..)
United States-California-South San Francisco
Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (7555)
Back to top