Principal Scientist, Enzymology
- Spring House, PA
Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a Pharmaceutical division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Principal Scientist, Enzymology , to be located in Spring House, PA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science.
We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal.Janssen Research & Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
The Molecular & Cellular Pharmacology Group is a critical part of the Discovery Technologies & Molecular Pharmacology organization in Janssen R&D and is committed to the delivery and mechanistic characterization of high-quality chemical series to enable small molecule clinical candidates in collaboration with all five Janssen Therapeutic Area (TA) discovery teams. We are currently seeking an outstanding individual to join our team as Principal Scientist in the Enzymology/Biophysics group. This position will be based in Spring House, PA.
The candidate will be a key senior member of the Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology Group, and manage other junior biochemists to provide enzymology/biophysics support and expertise to therapeutic area programs from target nomination through declaration of a clinical candidate. Their group will characterize novel enzymes, elucidate options for hit ID approaches, develop HTS assays, and perform direct binding and mechanism-of-action studies on validated hits. In lead optimization, the group will provide enzyme and inhibitor mechanistic data and insight, and analyze biochemical and cellular SAR. The candidate will recruit, teach and develop the biochemists in his/her group, and provide enzymology/biophysics expertise to therapeutic areas for internal programs and external collaborations. Also, the candidate will be a senior leader in the Molecular & Cellular Pharmacology department, which consists of enzymology, receptor pharmacology, enzymology, biophysics, chemical biology/chemoproteomics, and cellular pharmacology groups. As such, the candidate will contribute to strategic planning and innovation leadership for the department.
- Ph.D. or equivalent is required, in biochemistry, biophysics, pharmacology or related field.
- Strong record of external publications and presentations is required
- A minimum of 8 or more years of drug discovery experience with a record of important contributions to development of novel clinical candidates is required
- Recognized scientific expert in biochemistry, enzymology, and biophysics is required.
- Breadth of experience in biochemistry activities in drug discovery, including direct binding of ligands using SPR and ITC; characterization of novel enzymatic activity, development of assays for high-throughput screening, characterization of enzyme inhibitor mechanism of action, and analysis of both biochemical and cellular SAR is required.
- Experience with application of biophysics, structural biology, and molecular, cellular, and in vivo pharmacology to optimization of clinical candidates is required.
- Extensive knowledge in binding and mechanism-of-action studies, enzyme characterization, steady state kinetics, single turn-over kinetics, protein biochemistry, and assay development is required.
- Experience as an effective line manager of biochemistry lab scientists is required.
- Strong capabilities to teach and mentor lab scientists is required.
- Record of success in working effectively with external research organizations, including academic institutions, contract research organizations, and/or public-private consortia is required.
- Outstanding written and oral presentation capabilities is required.
- Experience as a drug discovery program team leader is preferred
- Expertise in one or more of the following therapeutic areas: Oncology, Inflammation, Neuroscience, Cardiovascular, and Infectious Diseases
- Direct experience in SPR and ITC, high-throughput screening assay development, and mechanism-of-action studies.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)
Back to top