Principal Scientist, Analytical Chemistry - Discovery Chemistry - La Jolla, CA
Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Principal Scientist in our Analytical Chemistry - Discovery Chemistry, located in La Jolla, CA (San Diego area).
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science.
We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal.Janssen Research & Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
This position will require the candidate to possess and apply extensive knowledge and skills in Analytical and Separation Sciences in order to provide a streamlined and impactful analytical support to accelerate Janssen Discovery pipeline. The ideal candidate must have extensive hands-on experience with high-resolution NMR spectroscopy, including 1D & 2D NMR data interpretation along with experimental set-up and problem solving, and extensive experience on LC/MS instrumentation and data interpretation in supporting Discovery Chemistry. In addition, the candidate must have up-to-date knowledge on frontier analytical chemistry capabilities and their applications in drug discovery.
Responsibilities will include:
- Oversee analytical chemistry staff and operation for the La Jolla site.
- Together with other members of the group, evaluate and implement new NMR and LC/MS methods and new ways to apply these technologies for Discovery Chemistry support.
- Work with the vendor, when necessary, to maintain and repair spectrometers.
- Communicate results of analytical studies to chemistry project teams and review data generated by fellow analytical chemistry staff.
- Present results at internal project meetings and at external scientific meetings as appropriate.
- Routinely interact with scientists from medicinal chemistry teams to develop and implement strategies to help advance programs
- Evaluate the scientific literature critically and adopt novel technologies which will facilitate analytical support. Assist in setting scientific direction for team.
- Education requirements include a Ph.D. in chemistry, biochemistry or related discipline with minimum 5 years of applicable post-graduate experience is required.
- At least 4 years pharmaceutical industry experience with a track record in application of Analytical Chemistry is required.
- The use of routine and advanced NMR methods to characterize synthetic medicinal compounds for structure and purity determination is required. (This includes in depth knowledge of Bruker NMR spectrometers, maintenance, troubleshooting, automation, pulse programming, and method development.)
- Extensive experience with NMR software for data acquisition and interpretation, may include but not limited to TopSpin, ACDLabs and/OR MestReNova, is required.
- Experience in high throughput NMR methods is preferred
- A strong background in synthetic organic chemistry is also preferred.
- Hands-on experience using LC/MS methods for characterization of medicinal compounds is also required.
- Use of Agilent and Waters LC/MS systems and software is preferred.
- Familiarity with techniques to determine stereochemistry and absolute configuration is required.
- A significant scientific publication record and a history of excellent communication and collaborative approach is required.
- Prior people management experience is strongly preferred.
- This position is located in La Jolla, CA, and may require up to 15% travel.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-California-San Diego-
North America-United States-California-La Jolla
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)
Back to top