Principal R&D Robotics Development Engineer
- Cincinnati, OH
Ethicon Inc. is currently recruiting for a Principal R&D Robotics Development Engineer to lead a team dedicated to component and assembly development and qualification activities for sophisticated medical devices in the Robotics and Digital Surgery Franchise, in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Our team of engineers and technical experts are at the forefront of technology in the medical device industry. At Ethicon, your unique perspectives will help transform patient care through innovation. You will also collaborate with suppliers to develop robust component designs and manufacturing processes that meet all product requirements at the lowest manufacturing cost. This is an opportunity to bring exciting and innovative new products to market to support the business while also providing the opportunity for significant professional growth.
The Principal Development Engineer is responsible for acting as a team member on product development projects conducting various assignments in cooperation with team & team leader.
- Lead all component and assembly manufacturing development activities
- Lead technical manufacturing engineering team by providing technical and business guidance
- Collaborate with Lead Design Engineer on high level project milestones
- Create and manage strategies for multiple parallel path designs
- Develop strategies for component development, device assembly, packaging and sterilization.
- Partner with Product Management Manager on component supplier and assembly site selection
- Complete COGS assessments of various components / designs to support business objectives
- Provide project planning, design support, process development knowledge, and qualification / validation / stabilization execution
- Provide product and process DFx (Manufacturing, Assembly) advice to improve manufacturability of components and subassemblies
- Provide mentoring and guidance to less experienced development engineers
- Bachelor's degree with an engineering focus
Experience and Skills:
- Experience leading a technical team is required
- A minimum of (8) years of work experience in manufacturing / development / operations is required.
- Great communication and interpersonal skills
- Working knowledge / understanding of manufacturing processes for plastic, metal, or electro-mechanical components
- Experience with manual and automated assembly manufacturing processes is required
- Application of statistical analysis techniques is required (Process Stability / Control charts / Capability methods, etc.)
- Development and application of gauging techniques and subsequent Measurement Systems Analyses (GR&R) is required.
- Experience managing assembly equipment development with an external equipment fabricator/ supplier
- Knowledge of GD&T (ASME Y14.5) is required
- Experience within a medical device production environment or other regulated environment
- Understanding of Design for Manufacturing & Assembly (DFMA) and Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA) principles
- Experience with several of the following assembly process and manufacturing technologies: manual assembly, automated assembly, test development, automated vision inspection, laser welding, lean manufacturing, line balancing.
- Experience with IQ/OQ/PQ activities
- This position is located in Cincinnati, OH and may require up to 20% travel.
- Master's degree in engineering
- Understanding of New Product Development, Project Management, and Risk Management processes
- Experience with Process Excellence Six Sigma
- Certified Green Belt or Black Belt
- Understanding of low-friction coatings for metallic parts
- Familiarity with MIM component development
- Any type of Controls experience is a nice to have
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
Back to top