Principal Opto-Mechanical Engineer, Robotic Endoscopes
- Santa Clara, CA
Auris Health, Inc., born in the Silicon Valley and now part of the Johnson & Johnson family of companies, is transforming medical intervention by combining advancements in medical robotics, instrumentation, navigation and data science. The engineering team at Auris is building a platform technology capable of expanding the applicability of robotics to a spectrum of medical procedures. Learn more about Auris Health at https://www.aurishealth.com/ .
The Principal Optomechanical Engineer will lead the development of the camera subsystem for a robotic endoscope. This represents an excellent opportunity if you are excited by building sophisticated miniature optomechanical subsystems. You will work as a member of the Vision Engineering team to develop, build, and test an endoscope and vision system as part of a larger surgical robot team. Key responsibilities include:
- Plan, design, develop, and verify optical imaging and detection systems for laparoscopic visualization.
- Work across the boundaries of optical and mechanical systems, ensuring required image quality, manufacturability, and robustness of the endoscope, including management of issues such as alignment and thermal management.
- Lead and influence internal cross-functional teams and external partners to execute feasibility and product development efforts.
- Serve as a domain expert in evaluation of customer needs, potential technology solutions, and design of programs to advance these technologies
- Partner with internal and external organizations to ensure technical solutions and approaches meet project needs
- Establish and maintain strong, productive relationships and collaborations across internal, external, and partner organizations.
- A minimum of a bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Optical, or related degree, is required; an Advanced Degree is preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years of product design experience is required.
- Direct experience working across company and organizational boundaries, in many cases without direct authority, to build relationships, define mutual goals, and collaborate to meet objectives, required
- Experience translating high-level customer needs into technical options and analyzing the tradeoffs and business impact, required
- Strong design and analysis skills, including 3D CAD tools and architecting entire devices, required
- Broad understanding of kinematic optical mounting principles, required
- Experience in translating lens designs into buildable assemblies, required
- Demonstrated experience in material selection appropriate to mechanically and thermally stable optical system design, required
- Excellent collaboration with cross-functional teams, including external design houses, manufacturing engineering, and suppliers to produce prototypes and optimize designs for manufacturability.
- Experience with designing and developing endoscopes, especially stereo endoscopes, for minimally invasive surgery, preferred.
- Experience in medical devices, preferred.
- Experience with endoscope design and manufacturing, including CMOS image sensors, optical lens systems, LED and laser diode illumination, fiber optic design, and overall system design, layout, packaging, and interface with camera control unit and surgical tools and environment, preferred
- The ability to develop and utilize appropriate design tools (e.g. FMEA's, GD&T, tolerance analysis, FEA, DOE's, simulated use testing, and statistical analysis), preferred
- Understanding of surgery, surgical procedures, and the design and application of surgical devices, as well as the quality system and regulatory environment.
- Knowledge of optical ray-tracing software and capabilities.
- Strong understand of design controls; the ability to develop and execute design plans, design verification and validation.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-California-Santa Clara-
United States-California-Redwood City
Auris Health, Inc. (6267)
Back to top