Medical Safety Officer-Oncology
- Horsham, PA
The Pharmaceuticals Medical Safety Officer (MSO) has accountability for assessing the medical safety of assigned Janssen products and will strategically lead cross-functional matrix teams responsible for product safety and benefit risk oversight and represents Global Medical Safety (GMS) as the product spokesperson regarding overall benefit/risk.
The MSO will report to the GMS Therapeutic Area (TA) Safety Head and oversee the safety and benefit/risk assessment of assigned drugs within the TA that are marketed and/or in clinical development. Collaborating with relevant functions, the MSO will ensure proactive and timely assessments of safety data to characterize the emerging and known safety profiles and benefit risk of assigned products within the TA. The MSO will communicate potential and known risks and changes to benefit/risk, when appropriate, to the TA Safety Head, the Medical Safety Science and Risk Management Excellence Leader, Head of Medical Safety Strategy (MSS), the Chief Safety Officer (CSO), the Pharmaceuticals Chief Medical Officer (CMO), the Qualified Person for Pharmacovigilance (QPPV) Pharma, Senior Management, Health Authorities (HA), Prescribers and/or Patients. In compliance with legal and regulatory requirements, the MSO will also lead when appropriate, in the design and implementation of risk mitigation strategies to ensure the safe and appropriate use of Janssen products. The MSO will primarily work in the oncology TA and may assist other TA when required.
• Strategically lead the Safety Management Teams (SMT) for assigned products. SMT responsibilities include safety surveillance (including signal detection), benefit/risk assessment and risk management activities [including Risk Management Plan (RMP) and Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy (REMS)], as well as other activities related to managing the safety profile of assigned products
• Provide medical and safety expertise as the GMS representative on the Compound Development Team (CDT) and Clinical Teams
• Anticipate safety concerns and influence other relevant functions including Clinical teams to minimize/mitigate patient risks by active participation in the design of the clinical protocols.
• Be an active partner and core contributor of safety input to key regulatory or clinical documents including:
- Risk management plans
- Safety development plan
- Clinical Trial Protocols
- Informed Consent Forms (ICF)
- Safety Sections of Investigator's Brochure (IB) and IB addenda
- Clinical Study Reports (CSR)
- Annual Safety Reports (ASR)
- Integrated Safety Summary (ISS) and Summary of Clinical Safety
(SCS) for NDA/BLA/MAA filings
- Periodic Benefit Risk Evaluation Report (PBRER) Safety Update Report (PSUR)
- Health authority queries
- Core Data Sheets (CDS)
• Contribute to structured benefit-risk assessment in development and post-approval in collaboration with the Benefit-Risk Team and Clinical teams.
• Effectively communicate (verbally and in writing) important results of medical safety and benefit/risk management evaluations when necessary, to the GMS Leadership Team, CMO, and the Pharmaceuticals Medical Safety Council (MSC)
• Provide medical oversight for safety data evaluations by confirming the strategy for the safety review/analysis and endorsing the medical safety evaluation. This will include review and approval (i.e. signatory) of medical safety assessment reports and other aggregate safety reports.
• Actively participate and contribute to meetings with Health Authorities and external key opinion leaders
• Provide medical safety leadership on due diligence teams to evaluate Licensing & Acquisition opportunities
• Work across the GMS TAs to align and improve common processes including providing strong leadership and a harmonized approach across clinical teams for safety data collection, assessment, and safety-related processes and issues
• Assist in the creation, review and implementation of SOPs, Work Instructions, guidelines, documents and other tools pertaining to safety assessment and risk management
• Lead or actively participate in department-wide initiatives
In addition, this person will take a leadership role in influencing senior management and key stakeholders across the business to achieve strategic goals. Leads others by example in influencing internal and external partners; demonstrates openness and seeks to understand different perspectives; gains the trust of others; asserts personal ideas and opinions using persuasion to influence others; demonstrates excellent negotiation skills. Gathers diverse viewpoints; proactively influences others appropriately across departments, functional areas, and with external partners.
Is viewed as a trusted partner across the business and with internal and external therapeutic area experts; anticipates additional needed relationships and proactively takes actions; leverages relationships; develops strategic alliances and coalitions. Uses an active network of relationships to achieve goals; fosters teamwork within own department or function, as well as across departments or functions; proactively addresses organizational barriers to enhance team effectiveness; leads the development of productive relationships among senior leaders and across organizational boundaries. Proactively maintains relationships with internal and external business partners across departments and functions; contributes actively to the effectiveness of cross-functional teams; capitalizes on existing structures and procedures for effectively engaging with partners.
• Physician (MD or equivalent) with 6-9 years related experience as defined by the following:
• Requires at least 2-5 years of pharmacovigilance experience or other relevant experience (e.g. Clinical research in Pharma or academic setting, Medical Affairs)
• Demonstrated skills in clinical medicine with at least 4 years of clinical practice experience, which includes a residency program or equivalent)
o Board Certification (if US) preferred
o Medical specialization preferred
o Demonstrated knowledge of principles of drug development, pharmacology, clinical trial methodology and design, medical monitoring of trials, assessment of drug risks and benefits, and safety assessment of drugs both on the market and in development and global safety regulations highly preferred
o Demonstrated knowledge of biostatistics and epidemiology are preferred
o Experience with structured benefit-risk frameworks (e.g. BRAT, FDA) and current regulatory policy on benefit-risk assessment and patient-focused drug development is preferred
o Ability to influence, negotiate and communicate with both internal and external stakeholders
o Experience with Health Authority presentations is preferred.
o Experience in the oncology therapeutic area is preferred.
• Ability to effectively and strategically lead global cross-functional teams
• Connect, collaborate and build consensus across relevant function
• Ability to think strategically, has a global mindset, big picture orientation, Ability to see the context of the entire situation, understand implications to the business
• Ability to critically evaluate safety data from multiple sources (clinical trials, environment, literature, etc), assess clinical importance, benefit risk and potential strategic impact of the data and present the findings clearly in both written and oral communications.
• Experience and knowledge of Good Clinical Practices and Pharmacovigilance regulatory requirements in US, the EU and globally, the conduct of clinical trials and for the appropriate contributions to regulatory filings, PV documents and risk management plans
• Able to plan work to meet deadlines and effectively handle multiple priorities
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including formal presentation skills. Written skills as evidenced by publication and journal articles also desirable
• Fluent in written and spoken English
• Proficiency in Word and PowerPoint is desired
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-New Jersey-Titusville-
North America-United States, United States-New Jersey-Raritan, United States-Pennsylvania-Horsham
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)
Back to top