IT Senior Director, Janssen Therapeutic Area Business Technology Leader
Janssen Research & Development LLC, a Johnson & Johnson company, is recruiting for IT Senior Director, Business Technology Leader (BTL) Therapeutic Area (TA) located in Spring House, Titusville, Raritan, or Beerse.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found.
Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C. develops treatments that improve the health and lifestyles of people worldwide. Research and development areas encompass novel targets in neurologic disorders, gastroenterology, oncology, infectious disease, diabetes, hematology, metabolic disorders, immunologic disorders, and reproductive medicine. We have produced and marketed many first-in-class prescription medications and are poised to serve the broad needs of the healthcare market - from patients to practitioners, from clinics to hospitals. For more about Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc., one of the Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, visit www.janssenpharmaceuticalsinc.com
The IT Senior Director, BTL TA is a strong leader who can combine consulting, modern Information Technology (IT) expertise, and deep scientific and pharmaceutical R&D knowledge to transform the way IT is applied in R&D. This role is accountable for information and technology initiatives that advance therapy area innovation and improve TA-specific research, translational science, clinical development, and market competitive positioning. As a strategic partner to the senior leaders across the Janssen Therapeutic Areas as well as Global Public Health (GPH) and the World Without Diseases Accelerator (WWDA), the IT Senior Director TA BTL will build internal and external partnerships for technology to advance TA success and help shape Therapeutic Area strategy into the digital health landscape. The IT Senior Director TA BTL reports to the Janssen Vice President of Research & Therapeutic Area IT and is a core member of the senior leadership team of R&D IT, and ideally for the Therapeutic Area and R&D organizations s/he faces. The IT Senior Director TA BTL is the personal point of contact for all IT for the Therapeutic Area, GPH, and WWDA Heads.
The IT Senior Director TA BTL manages directly a team of Business Technology Leader (BTL) Business Analysts (BAs) that provide IT strategy, tactics, business consultancy, solution architecture, and program/project management. For solutions at scale, s/he leverages matrix IT organizations for solution development, advanced analytics and other information technology-related services. As BTL, the this role is the accountable strategic R&D partner who manages the relationship through ongoing consultation with the business, however s/he also owns the full outcome of the information and technology services provided to these business partners.
Additional specific responsibilities include:
- Develop an IT strategy and roadmap for Janssen TAs, GPH, and WWDA aligned to the business objectives and the IT strategy
- Collaborates closely with Architecture to build roadmaps, ensure end to end process and data flow and evaluate potential technology partners
- Advises and influences senior management in R&D on the transformation and application of digital technologies, aligned to the overall R&D IT strategy
- Builds superior skills within a strong overall team, owning performance management, talent development and succession for his/her area of responsibility and contributes to the same for the broader R&D IT group
- Represents Janssen Business Technology and J&J in relevant industry groups and provides a key interface for external informatics partners, collaborators and thought leaders
- Ensures compliance, audit readiness and operational stability of the TA, GPH, and WWDA application landscape
- In close partnership with senior R&D stakeholders, manages governance processes and resources, and will consistently influence, match and prioritize complex demands on multiple informatics and IT services to maximize value to the business.
- Deep knowledge of the R&D business and prior leadership around research informatics; specifically, where data and emerging technology can transform pharmaceutical innovation
- A strategic thinker with good technical knowledge and excellent communication and leadership skills, used to influence decision making with R&D business leaders
- A driver of improved business operations who utilizes robust project management to ensure timely delivery of projects that achieve expected benefits
- A business strategist, pragmatic as needed but capable of revolutionary thinking at the forefront of new and emerging technologies such as mobility, business analytics, cloud computing and social software/media and capable of applying these disruptive capabilities, shaking up business models and transforming R&D environments
- An IT pragmatist, who knows when to leverage corporate infrastructure to deliver upon traditional needs as well as unlock opportunities for R&D innovation and competitive advantage from this technology
- A flexible leader that thrives in a rapidly changing technology and business environment while scaling for R&D excellence and global expansion
- An authentic leader committed to diversity and the practices that create a passionate, energetic and rewarding work environment, with the ability to inspire a diverse, multi-generational workforce and that recognizes and rewards collaboration, performance and inclusion
- An expert with specific knowledge and expertise on pharmaceutical drug discovery, genomics, and other relevant scientific and/or clinical disciplines.
- A minimum of a Master's degree in Biomedical Sciences, Informatics, Computational Science, or Biomedical Engineering plus 8 years related experience in research IT and/or informatics, preferably within a pharmaceutical setting. PhD and 5 years of related experience in research IT and/or informatics, preferably within a pharmaceutical setting.
- Strong scientific/research & development pharmaceutical knowledge with demonstrated experience driving innovation for scientific, clinical, diagnostics or therapy areas using digital technology and data/information science.
- Strong communication skills, and strong relationship development and management capabilities in a global setting is required.
- Good knowledge of disease biology in at least one disease areas and ability to hire, train, and lead staff with different disease area knowledge.
- Specific knowledge and expertise with translational science, genomics, informatics and their relevance in a competitive therapeutic area.
- Knowledge of current and new technologies & their applicability to the business.
- Strong knowledge of informatics principles and practical application, including various data standards.
- Experience leading matrixed, consultant, and internal and external technical personnel in a fast-paced, complex, global environment is a must.
- Experience managing global business priorities and projects across multiple business areas is required.
- Strong business process knowledge, and a demonstrated capability to apply technology solutions in addressing complex, global business issues is required.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills are required.
- The ability to work in cross functional teams and lead and manage individuals with multidisciplinary backgrounds is required.
- A thorough understanding of: 1) methodologies for system design, development, and implementation; 2) all phases of the Project Implementation life cycle; 3) validation and regulatory requirements is required.
- Experience in the use of Agile methodology, process engineering and prototyping tools is preferred.
- 10-15% travel (domestic & international) is required.
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House-
North America-United States-New Jersey-Raritan, North America-United States-New Jersey-Titusville, Europe/Middle East/Africa-Belgium-Antwerp-Beerse
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)
Back to top