Associate Scientist, Discovery Chemistry (Multiple Openings) - La Jolla, CA
- San Diego, CA
Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for an Associate Scientist, Discovery Chemistry, in La Jolla, CA (San Diego area).
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science.
The Discovery Chemistry group is committed to the delivery of high-quality drug candidates working with all six Janssen Therapeutic Areas (TA) discovery teams. This mission requires deep scientific expertise in a number of disciplines including chemistry, cellular and molecular pharmacology, enzymology, and screening technologies coupled with an ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners. Building on a strong legacy of success, we are currently seeking an outstanding individual to join our team as Associate Scientist, Discovery Chemistry.
We are seeking an experienced Bachelor's- or Master's-level medicinal chemist with excellent organic synthesis expertise to advance small molecule drug discovery programs toward the clinic. In this laboratory-based position, the successful candidate will partner with both internal and external medicinal chemistry teams to generate innovative solutions to synthetic and medicinal chemistry challenges within the context of small molecule drug discovery projects. She/he will maintain close interactions with computer assisted design scientists and biologists. Strong people skills and the ability to thrive in a team and goal driven environment are key attributes.
This individual must also excel in communication and have strong interpersonal skills necessary to influence in a collaborative multidisciplinary environment.
Responsibilities of the Associate Scientist include:
- Maintaining a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting.
- Developing and executing clear synthetic strategies towards complex molecules using state-of-the-art synthetic methodologies.
- Synthesizing drug-like molecules utilizing medicinal chemistry knowledge and an understanding of ADME, pharmacokinetics and optimal physicochemical properties.
- Collaboratively supporting the advancement of compounds through in vitro and in vivo studies to identify development candidates.
- Collaboration with structure-based design groups to impact rational design of molecules.
- Working on novel, testable hypotheses to enable clear decision making.
- Contributing to scientific strategies and goals within a project team setting.
- Presenting data and reports on project status at individual and group meetings.
- Generating data for and serving as co-author on research published in peer reviewed journals and presenting work at scientific conferences.
- A minimum of a Bachelor's Degree with 2 or more years of synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry industry experience is required
- A minimum of a Master's Degree in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry, or to be completed within 6 months, is required
- Significant research experience (1+ years) in multi-step synthesis of organic compounds and/or development of synthetic methodology is required.
- A deep knowledge of modern synthetic and analytical techniques (air-free reactions, silica gel chromatography, NMR and mass spectroscopy) is required.
- Experience in retrosynthetic analysis and strong understanding of reaction mechanism is required.
- Proven track record of scientific contributions including peer reviewed publications, patents, and presentations is preferred. (Please include full list with your CV/resume.)
- Independent thinking and the ability to effectively collaborate in a highly matrixed environment is required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including preparation of presentations is required.
- This position is based in our company location in San Diego, CA and may require less than 5% travel.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-California-San Diego-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)
Back to top