Assistant Scientist, Discovery Chemistry - San Diego, CA - (Multiple Openings)
- San Diego, CA
Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for an Assistant Scientist in Discovery Chemistry, for our site in San Diego, CA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found.
Janssen Research & Development, LLC discovers and develops innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious diseases and vaccines, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. Please visit http://www.janssenrnd.com/ for more information.
We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire us. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The Discovery Chemistry group is committed to the delivery of high quality drug candidates working with all six Janssen Therapeutic Areas (TA) discovery teams. This mission requires deep scientific expertise in a number of disciplines including chemistry, cellular and molecular pharmacology, enzymology, and screening technologies coupled with an ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners. Building on a strong legacy of success, we are currently seeking an outstanding individual to join our team as Assistant Scientist, Discovery Chemistry. This position will be based at our drug discovery site in San Diego, CA.
We are seeking a Bachelor's level medicinal chemist with independent research experience in organic synthesis to advance small molecule drug discovery programs towards the clinic. In this laboratory-based position, the successful candidate will partner with both internal and external medicinal chemistry teams to generate innovative solutions to synthetic and medicinal chemistry challenges within the context of small molecule drug discovery projects. She/he will maintain close interactions with computer assisted design scientists and biologists. Strong people skills and the ability to thrive in a multidisciplinary, goal driven environment are key attributes. This position offers ample opportunity for career growth and independence.
Responsibilities of the Assistant Scientist include:
- Maintaining a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting.
- Synthesizing, purifying, and characterizing (NMR, IR, MS) compounds under the direction of a senior chemist.
- Synthesizing drug-like molecules utilizing medicinal chemistry knowledge and an understanding of ADME, pharmacokinetics and optimal physicochemical properties.
- Collaboratively supporting the advancement of compounds through in vitro and in vivo studies to identify development candidates.
- Collaboration with structure-based design groups to impact rational design of molecules.
- Working on novel, testable hypotheses to enable clear decision making.
- Contributing to scientific strategies and goals within a project team setting.
- Presenting data and reports on project status at individual and group meetings.
- Generating data for and serving as co-author on research published in peer reviewed journals
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in a chemistry-related discipline with 0 to 2 years of post-graduate research experience is required.
- Independent organic synthesis research experience beyond curriculum-based coursework and laboratory classes is preferred.
- Track record of achievement in organic synthesis, with a knowledge of modern synthetic, analytical techniques is preferred.
- Proven track record of scientific contributions including peer reviewed publications, patents and presentations is preferred.
- Independent thinking and the ability to effectively collaborate in a highly matrixed environment is required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including preparation of presentations is required.
- This position is based in our company location in San Diego, CA.
United States-California-San Diego-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)
Back to top