Do you love to develop novel communications systems solutions for the nation's most critical challenges?
Are you searching for meaningful work in communications systems engineering?
Are you passionate about solving problems in communications systems engineering incorporating artificial intelligence, software development and software-defined radio solutions?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a Communications Systems Innovator to help us solve the nation's security challenges.
As a member of our team, you'll be responsible for analysis, problem solving, designing and developing of novel solutions for the Government across numerous agencies and departments. You will solve problems and conduct analysis in areas related to communications systems engineering, artificial intelligence, systems software development and software-defined radio. Ultimately you will work with a team of engineers whose goal is to innovate, assess and integrate real-time system analysis, perform laboratory / field testing, assist in post-processing data analysis, and present the results to sponsors. You will be joining a hardworking team of engineers and scientists who are passionate about building novel communication systems. Our team is committed to national security. We strive to foster an environment that promotes professional growth and a balanced life. Our team values diversity of thought.
As a Communications Systems Innovator...
- Your primary responsibility will be to design and development novel solutions for the Government.
- You will develop novel techniques for communications system data analysis, visualization and demonstration.
- You will develop and prototype innovative wireless technologies to implement complex communication and networking systems.
- You will deploy, integrate, and test the prototypes in operationally-realistic environments, working closely with sponsors to ensure mission success.
- You will document work in formal technical reports and informal memoranda. Present work to sponsors and the technical community.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess a BS in electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science or a related technical discipline.
- Have 5+ years of proven experience in the development of hardware and / or software for wireless systems.
- Have knowledge of and experience with the physical and data link layers of communication or networking systems.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills, work independently, and work as part of a multi-organizational team.
- Are willing and able to travel on an as needed basis.
- Have the ability to obtain a DoD Top Secret clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Possess a MS or PhD in electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science with an emphasis on artificial intelligence or a related technical discipline.
- Have experience with US military communication or electronic warfare technologies.
- Have knowledge of 4G/5G cellular communication technologies.
- Have knowledge of the networking layer and above of communication or networking systems.
- Have expertise in developing software in a Linux environment following current best practices in several of the following languages: C, C++, Python, MATLAB, Verilog, or VHDL.
- Are experienced with software radio frameworks such as GNU Radio.
- Experience with Project and/or Technical management of hardware, software, or systems integration teams.
- Hold an active Top Secret security clearance with a SSBI.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.