Windows Systems Administrator
- Laurel, MD
Do you love contributing to complex technical projects?
Are you searching for meaningful hardware and software support work in collaborative team environment?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a creative IT professional to help us support our expanding Wide Area Networks that are instrumental to significant Department of Defense projects. We take great pride in contributing our hardware and software support to projects that help protect the nation. You will actively assist with our IT support efforts, including configuring, installing, uninstalling and maintaining systems used in remote site installations, laboratory environments, and field tests. We are a hardworking team of systems administrators and information security experts, who love working collaboratively to solve complex computing challenges. Our team is passionate about providing world-class IT services to the facilities and projects we support.
As a Windows Systems Administrator...
• Your primary responsibility will be traveling up to two weeks per month to support the installation of remote WAN sites throughout the country. This support includes local and remote implementation of server resources, data storage resources, desktop applications, engineering applications, integration between Linux and Windows platforms, supporting existing hardware, and setting up and managing thick and thin client systems with standard office tools, analysis tools, and desktop software.
• While not on travel, you will provide hardware and software support for integration and execution of projects throughout the department. You'll meet with project managers to understand project scope and priorities and help identify and procure the required hardware/software.
• You will identify new hardware needs and be responsible for the proper assessment, implementation, and maintenance of approved Security Technical Implementation Guides and site-specific security protocols.
• You will collaborate with Linux and storage sysadmins and information systems security officers on a range of diverse projects, including Powershell or other scripting operations for small, medium, and large disconnected networks and Splunk queries and custom pages for ongoing security and reviews.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
• Possess a BS in an Information Technology field or a combination of equivalent level of relevant experience and education in the information technology domain area.
• Have extensive experience with Windows Server operating systems, including Active Directory, Group Policy, Powershell, Bash other scripting, DNS etc. Experience managing small to medium Exchange implementations.
• Have a familiarity with Linux operating systems and Windows/Linux interoperability.
• Are an excellent communicator, both written and verbal, with good interpersonal skills.
• Have the ability to independently analyze and identify project/program needs and develop high quality cost-effective solutions for addressing use of existing and future computing resources.
• Have an active Secret security clearance with the ability to obtain a Top Secret clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
• Are willing and able to travel to field sites on board Navy or research vessels to install and uninstall field test computer equipment.
• Are willing and able to work full time in a closed area.
• Have a current DoD 8570 certification (Security or CISSP), or the ability to obtain DoD 8570 certification within six months of employment.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
• Possess a MS Degree in Information Technology or a related field.
• Are certified in MCSE, Dell, and/or SAN.
• Have extensive experience with virtualization technologies, VDI, Citrix, complex group policies and active directory implementations.
• Have experience with Risk Management Framework (RMF), NISPOM, and DAAPM requirements as they apply to information technology.
• Have previous experience with Splunk management and query/dashboard development, Windows and Linux desktop and server operating systems, dedicated storage, office products, database administration, and scientific applications.
• Have project management or team leadership experience.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top