Web Systems Administrator
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a Web Systems Administrator.
Provide design, implementation, and maintenance support for various aspects of the Laboratory’s web presence as well as maintain the overall web infrastructure to support that presence. The primary focus is Windows (IIS) based services.
- Administer web servers and applications including web server maintenance and application fixes. Develop, implement, and maintain custom web systems. Maintain the security of web resources. Create and maintain links between various web-based applications and other core systems. Assist in the implementation and maintenance of all web-enabled applications. Support top-level web sites and special projects. Perform operating systems administration tasks for Microsoft Windows systems and web services. – 50%
- Provide technical support for the IBM Watson Explorer search tool. Establish and maintain repository crawl schedules, monitor system and performance, perform diagnostics troubleshooting, and work with the vendor and other teams as necessary. – 20%
- Provide technical support for the Atlassian Confluence wiki application. Maintain software deployments in multiple environments, perform system upgrades, administer and troubleshoot application support. – 15%
- Administer F5 BigIP technology solutions) – 15%
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.Required Qualifications:
- B.S. or equivalent years’ professional IT work related experience
- Minimum of 3 years’ professional work experience and working knowledge of:
- Windows 2012 R2 Operating System (OS)
- Internet Information Services (IIS)
- A fundamental understanding of TCP/IP, HTTP, SSL/TLS standards
- SSL/TLS configuration of websites
- Deploying and managing Windows IIS hosted websites
- Demonstrated the ability to interface with all levels of management, customers, and staff to learn about and understand their web server requirements and provide solutions that meet their needs.
- Ability to work in a team environment in support of shared objectives.
- Experience in a systems administrator role supporting highly available web applications
- Able to resolve problems using current job knowledge, research data, and external resources.
- Written and presentation skills which will be used to document analysis and to give technical presentations.
- Experience with:
- Enterprise Search technology, including spidering / crawling of content
- UNIX OS, Apache Tomcat, Atlassian Confluence Wiki
- PKI Infrastructures, server certificates, Certificate Authority, Single Sign On (SSO) technologies
- Administering and monitoring F5 Local Traffic Manager
- Knowledge of:
- PowerShell and ability to write custom scripts to assist with automating daily tasks.
- Web and Windows system administration and troubleshooting
Special Working Conditions:
Occasional Saturday morning hours required and participate on an on-call rotation.
Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Lead RF Systems Engineer
Mary Ann builds prototypes and integrates software and hardware communications in order to create complete systems for APL contracts and projects. She also collaborates with her team to fix software issues.
Back to top