Job Summary: Environmental Test Facility (ETF) technician responsible for coordination, setup, performance and reporting of thermal/vacuum testing in support of development, qualification and acceptance of space flight hardware. Responsibilities include operation of computerized control systems; instrumentation installation; collection and reporting of data; operation of thermal and vacuum systems and maintenance and upgrade of facility equipment.
- Coordination and conduct of thermal/vacuum tests. Operation of control and data acquisition systems.(60%)
- Maintenance of equipment in the ETF including troubleshooting and calibration. (15%)
- Provide support for development and implementation of facility upgrades and preparation of standard operating procedures. (15%)
- Test report preparation (15%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- High school diploma, some college or military technical schooling preferred.
- Must possess hands-on experience with operation and maintenance of mechanical systems.
- Have experience in using computerized systems, electronic measuring equipment, test instrumentation and data acquisition systems.
- Must have experience in handling high value hardware and some understanding of the different types of sensitive instrument contamination control.
- Ability to work extensive overtime, weekend and shift coverage on short notice, as needed.
- Mechanical aptitudes, technical knowledge and hands-on experience with operation and maintenance of high vacuum and cryogenic equipment and/or environmental test chambers. Experience working with liquid nitrogen and thermal test instrumentation such as thermocouples, thermistors, infrared lamps, resistive heaters and controllers.
Special Working Conditions: Able to lift heavy equipment and test items/fixtures. Must be able to work in multi-level building. Able to work extensive overtime, weekends and shift work which could sometimes be required on short notice.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top