Doyou have experience with threat engineering, missile simulations, or the intelligencecommunity?
Are you passionate about using innovation and technology to solvetechnical challenges involving the defense of the US and her allies?
If so,this is the perfect opportunity for you.
The A4H AppliedTechnologies and Threat Engineering Group develops non-kinetic defensivestrategies by combining a detailed understanding of threat systems (ballisticmissiles, cruise missiles and similar systems) with advanced technologies. Ourgroup is seeking an innovative technical leader to analyze, characterize, and modelballistic missile threats. In this position you will develop foreign ballisticmissile system characterizations and will guide threat engineering efforts forthe Department of Defense (DoD). Characterizations include system design,modeling flight capabilities, and scenario development of adversarycapabilities.
As a BallisticMissile Threat Engineer:
Your primaryresponsibility will be to create threat characterizations of advanced foreign systems.To accomplish this, you will use threat in-house and commercially developedtools with representations of kinematics, guidance systems, control systems,and sensors.
- You will exploreadvanced technology and its effect on US current and future Ballistic MissileDefense Systems.
- You will lead teamsto develop ballistic missile trajectories and scenarios with threat modeling toolsand will improve trajectory tools as needed.
- You will providethreat characterizations and representations to radar simulations, interceptormissile simulations, and combat system simulations. You will coordinate threatrepresentations inside the laboratory and with external contractors and DoD sponsors.
- You will design,develop, execute data development plans to ensure that threat characterizations(trajectory representations, signatures, and debris characterizations) areconsistent with the best understanding of adversary capabilities.
- You will interfacewith the intelligence community to ensure a strong working knowledge ofavailable information on foreign system capabilities.
- You will develop presentationsand brief results of efforts to team members, management, and DoD sponsors.
- You will participatein and contribute to a team environment that involves personnel with variousacademic backgrounds and experience levels.
You meet the minimum qualifications for this position if you:
- Have a Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, or equivalent.
- Have at least five years professional work experience.
- Have experience working on missile defense programs, threat systems characterization, or knowledge of operational environments.
- Have experience with any of the following program languages: MATLAB, Python, C, C , C#, or Java.
- Have good written and verbal communication skills.
- Are willing to work a significant portion of the time in a closed area.
- Are able to obtain a Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you:
- Have a Master of Science degree in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Software Engineering, Physics or equivalent.
- Have at least ten years professional work experience.
- Have at least three years of experience in modeling and simulation.
- Have program proficiency with any of the following program languages: MATLAB, Python, C, C , C#, or Java.
- Have experience with missile guidance and control systems, radars, seekers/sensors, flight mechanics, and/or propulsion systems.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Have an Active Top Secret/SCI Clearance.
Why Work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top