Threat / counter AI Professional
- Laurel, MD
Do you have experience with artificial intelligence / machine learning with interest in adversarial techniques?
Are you passionate about developing innovative technologies to solve technical challenges involving the defense of the US and her allies?
If so, this is the perfect opportunity for you.
The Advanced Information Technologies and Data Fusion Group (A4I) develops advanced algorithmic solutions to our nation's greatest technical challenges. Our group is seeking an innovative technical leader to develop and analyze novel solutions in the realm of artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML), etc., as applied to critical DoD problems and data sets. We are very interested in someone who understands the underlying assumptions and formulations that must be accounted for when designing and implementing such techniques.
As a Threat Engineering/Counter Artificial Intelligence Professional your responsibilities will include:
- Researching and prototyping solutions for adversarial and counter AI applications for purposes of hardening as well as system exploitation.
- Developing state-of-the-art AI / ML algorithms that can be applied to current and future Air and Missile Defense problem sets.
- Manipulating and efficient handling of multi-domain data that encompasses a wide variety, structures, modalities and sources.
- Building and analyzing opponent models to characterize capabilities and concepts of operation.
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of recent advances in the field.
- Sharing knowledge by clearly articulating ideas in written documents and presentations to technical staff, management and government decision makers.
- Collaborating with a technically diverse APL community to develop new potential applications of these techniques.
- Mentoring early career engineers with regards to the state-of-the-art in AI/ML domain.
You meet the minimum qualifications for this position if you have:
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science or equivalent.
- At least five years professional work experience (years pursuing graduate degree are counted toward this qualification).
- Experience in typical Machine Learning and Data Science packages like: Pandas, Tensorflowm, Pytorch, sklearn, and OpenAI Gym.
- Experience with any of the following program languages: Python, MATLAB, C, C , C#, or Java with fluency in at least one.
- Knowledge of: electromagnetics and radio frequency (RF) signals and emission.
- Familiarity with cyber resilience, risk management, hardening and vulnerabilities methods and applications.
- An understanding of reinforcement learning and multi-agent reinforcement learning.
- Ability to rapidly translate and prototype state of the art algorithms to a variety of problem sets.
- Experience dealing with real-world large data sets.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- An ability to obtain a Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have:
- An MS or PhD in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science or equivalent.
- At least eight years professional work experience.
- A proven track record in designing and developing machine learning algorithms for solving interdisciplinary problems.
- An expert in assessing vulnerabilities in future and operational systems with a focus on autonomous systems.
- Experience with Deep Neural Networks architectures (Convolutional, Recurrent, Autoencoders, Transformers etc.)
- Experience in using high performance computing structures like GPU and CPU clusters.
- Demonstrated experience in collaboration and version management systems.
- An Active Top Secret/SCI Clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top