Test Bed Lead Engineer - National Security Space
Job Summary: System Integration and Test (I&T) Test Bed Lead Design Engineer will lead a team of software and hardware engineers in the complete development life cycle of Test Beds for National Security Space Programs. The Test Beds will include the Program Hardware in the Loop Simulator (HIL) and Test Bed or Spacecraft Checkout Station used to interface and control a spacecraft during System Integration and Test.
The Test Bed Lead Engineer will be responsible for the System Architecture and System Requirements flow down to the EGSE design and fabrication team. Responsibilities include defining and documenting specific interfaces, establishing clear requirements, determining appropriate requirement verification methods, and ensuring requirements compliance and verification closures. The Lead shall be the Test Bed Project Engineer responsible for ensuring execution of the Test Bed effort over the life cycle of the Program.
The ideal candidate will have strong organizational skills, interpersonal skills, and execution skills. The ideal candidate will possess a mission focus and heightened sense of urgency to accomplish defined tasks. In addition, the ideal candidate will have a demonstrated record of task execution, initiative and a motivated self-starter. The candidate will clearly demonstrate leadership skills and will have a track record of successfully performing test software and hardware skills. The candidate will have an ability to operate in a team environment and collaborate across engineering disciplines to accomplish the team goals. This candidate will also be capable of coordinating with internal and external customers and preparing/presenting the results of their work. The ideal candidate will interact successfully across multiple domains including customers, program management, hardware design, system engineering, procurement, suppliers, and manufacturing. The candidate will have Cost Account Management responsibilities and be responsible for cost and schedule performance of the Test Beds.
- Lead the design, procurement, assembly, test, and verification of Electrical Test Bed systems.
- Develop Test Bed requirements from subsystem and system requirements.
- Interface with suppliers, customer, and internal design teams to provide cost effective and low risk solutions.
- Develop test system design documentation to communicate proposed designs to internal design and business teams, vendors and customers.
- Provide technical oversight of subcontractor-supplied components and full-up testing systems.
- Provide professional recommendations to subcontractors & suppliers.
- BS degree in Electrical/Electronic/Computer Science Engineering or equivalent.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrable problem solving skills.
- Thorough understanding of manufacturing project planning, scheduling, resource management, materials ordering, inventory management, and quality functions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as both a team leader and a team member.
- Ability to multitask successfully.
- Must be well organized, team oriented, have high initiative, work well with others, and communicate effectively with all levels within the organization.
- Must be able to develop effective working relationships with engineering and program management.
- Experience with MS Project
- Experience in spacecraft Electrical Ground Support Equipment and Special Test Equipment, and Integration of electrical components to harness and Electrical Ground Support Equipment (EGSE).
- Experience in spacecraft Integration and Test and Launch Operations.
- Familiarity with MIL-STD-1553, UART, RS422, and SpaceWire requirements and protocols.
- L3 InControl Software experience in developing Test Scripts and Test Conducting of aerospace hardware.
- Familiarity with LabVIEW software.
- Masters in Engineering or Computer Science.
- Active TS/SCI clearance.
Special Working Conditions: Must be able to work in clean rooms. Must be able to travel. Occasional long hours, working shifts, and weekend work may be required.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship and an ability to obtain TS clearance.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top