Introduction: The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a Centralized Logging System Administrator.
Support the operation,and management of Splunk centralized logging service for the classified networks. Provide system admin support for other application servers and desktop systems supporting the classified networks.
1. Responsible for administration, configuration and management of a centralized logging and reporting system. Operations and management of centralized logging services to include: OS management, updating security patches, troubleshooting performance issues, and maintaining the system in accordance with applicable NISPOM/Industrial Security Standards/ODAA classified systems security practices and procedures. Work with clients and vendors to support and troubleshoot OS, application and hardware performance issues. Proactively monitor the health of server infrastructure to ensure server uptime service levels are met.
2. Security Compliance: Apply monthly Microsoft OS patches and 3rd party vendor security patches as needed. Provide support for software application packaging and deployment. Actively scan systems using DoD approved tools and remediate findings in accordance with policy. Evaluate and apply DoD lockdown requirements and harden systems according to security policy.
3. Projects: Work with clients and team members to ensure all logs are being captured. Develop scripts and configure the system to efficiently process and manage the log data. Research, recommend, and implement dashboard analytics to support classified network operations and audit requirements.
4. Communication/Documentation: Develop and maintain document repositories, architectural diagrams related to the installation, administration, maintenance, and use of the Splunk systems. Give technical presentations as needed.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Systems Engineering, Information Systems or related field, or equivalent years of professional IT-related work experience.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to acquire new technical skills
- Demonstrated firm understanding and ability to work with the Windows Server operating systems, Active Directory, and Group Policy to troubleshoot and resolve routine to moderately complex system related tasks.
- Strong knowledge of Regular Expressions and scripting skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills; self-motivated and able to work in a team environment with the ability to interface with all levels of staff.
- Applicant selected must have a final Secret Level Security Clearance
- Current Security or equivalent DoD 8570 IAT Level II Certification.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP and networking protocols with the ability troubleshoot networking issues.
Special Working Conditions:
Occasional after-hours work as needed to meet critical deadlines or maintain operations.
Secret Clearance is required. Applicants selected will be subject to a Government security investigation and must meet the eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include US citizenship.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top