Systems Engineer - National Security Space
Do you have a passion for Space Systems Engineering?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a Space Systems Engineer to help support new concept developments and ongoing projects for National Security Space (NSS).
As a Space Systems Engineer will...
• Lead engineering teams in the formulation, development, and execution of space mission concepts and system analysis in NSS. Projects range from analytical studies in cyber architectures, operations and control, space situational awareness, and space protection for example, to formulation of system concepts, to development of a flight mission or experiment, including hardware, software, integration and test, and operations.
• Provide technical interface to sponsor and project management.
• Perform systems level technical analysis, trade studies, and analysis of alternatives.
• Formal communications through systems engineering documents, reports, proposals, and oral presentations.
• Lead and participate in engineering team meetings and overall technical development efforts.
• Develop and lead requirements, verification, and validation efforts.
• Define and manage system interfaces.
• Lead, coordinate, and present at technical design reviews.
• Work with project manager in defining and managing project risks.
• Lead and coordinate system level testing efforts.
• Technical responsibility for delivering integrated missions, instrument payloads, spacecraft, or other mission articles.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have...
- A BS (or higher) in engineering, physics, or equivalent with a minimum of 10 years of professional engineering experience.
- At least 5 years of experience with national security space related projects
- Broad technical experience base and strong analytical skills.
- Demonstrated leadership capability working with engineering teams and/or sponsors.
- Demonstrated communications skills delivering presentations and in written documentation.
- Hold an active [a Secret, Top Secret, TS/SCI, or TS/SCI poly] security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- M.S. (or higher) in Systems Engineering
- At least 5 years of Systems Engineering experience on national security space projects including a leadership role in the development of a space flight mission or significant space systems analysis.
- Experience and familiarity working directly with national security space sponsors.
- Currently active SCI clearance
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top