Systems Engineer and Analyst (El Segundo, CA)
Introduction: The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a System Engineer with experience in communications systems and software development.
Job Summary: Systems Engineer / SW SE engineer to work closely with Government sponsors to develop system CONOPS, define architectures for sponsor solutions in DoDAF construct, work with stake holders to define system requirements and assist sponsors to ensure user needs are met and contractors are meeting requirements and deliverables. Act as Technical Advisor Agent to sponsors in architecture and program development and in contractor program reviews, both internal and external.
- Apply systems engineering processes to define and translate concepts, identify architecture technical requirements. Participate in system design, development, prototyping, demonstration and testing efforts. Work as part of a Government team to validate and verify design specifications, document and analyze requirements, review and critique system verification plan / procedures, and analyze system performance vs. requirements and user needs.
- Interact closely with multiple stakeholders, system and software engineers to arrive at a consensus on the design, development and test phases of the program. Present analysis, propose technical solutions, model and measure performance, and validate results.
- Review architecture and design of applications related to satellite ground systems and space systems within distributed computing, data networks, network simulation, and tactical network. Perform vulnerability assessment as needed.
- Identify and coordinate technical work performed for sponsor at APL Laurel location.
- Participate as a member of the team to evaluate contractor’s proposals for the follow on system then provide contractor oversight to ensure the developed system meets user needs while containing program risks. Additionally, brief approach, implementation and progress to APL management and sponsors.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- BS in Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Computer Science related disciplines.
- 10 years of strong aerospace systems engineering (SE) and software SE experience with emphasis on requirements definition, and satellite ground system development. Demonstrated understanding of throughput analysis and simulation, communications link performance, and system vulnerability.
- Demonstrate strong analytical and problem solving skills with solid understanding of digital communications, RF communications, SATCOM ground networks, and SATCOM satellite links.
- Demonstrate experience in software system engineering methodologies, principles, and concepts to solve systems related challenges.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a dynamic environment that includes working with changing needs and requirements.
- The applicant should demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, be able to work independently, work as a team player and work closely with sponsors.
- The applicant must demonstrate outstanding written and oral communication skills and good organizational skills.
- MS in Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Science related disciplines and 15 years of frontend Systems Engineering experience with emphasis on developing ground segments and SATCOM links. Additionally, experience with Software Systems Engineering a plus.
- Experience with current Air Force networks, DoDAF, DoD 5000, and model based systems engineering (MBSE) and applying MBSE tools within DoDAF is highly desired.
Special Working Conditions: Position will be located in Los Angeles, CA, on-site at sponsor facility.
Requires occasional travel.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship. Applicant must meet the requirements for access to classified information and have a current TS/SCI/SSBI
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Lead RF Systems Engineer
Mary Ann builds prototypes and integrates software and hardware communications in order to create complete systems for APL contracts and projects. She also collaborates with her team to fix software issues.
Back to top