Systems Engineer - Algorithm/Prototype Development (Colorado Springs, CO)
- Colorado Springs, CO
Are you passionate about space systems and exploration?
Do you want to help ensure our nation's preeminence in the 21st century via safe, assured access to space?
Do you like working with and improving complex systems of systems?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
Space control is the ability to ensure freedom of action in space for the United States and our allies. Doing so depends on intricately coordinating and integrating sensors, command and control systems, and communications systems across all domains - land, sea, air, space, and cyber. As a member of our growing team, you will contribute to the evolution of space layer systems and their integration with existing and future missile defense systems. In addition, you will:
- Develop novel future system concepts to enhance the Command and Control (C2) of the space control mission
- Identify and conduct the analysis required to influence system design and assess system performance
- Perform prototype development and software integration
- Are naturally inquisitive and willing to question how things work
- Possess a drive to learn and to continually improve your abilities - and to help those around you do the same
- Have an excellent work ethic and are dedicated to achieving the team's objectives
- Are personable, considerate, and courteous in your interactions with fellow team members
You'll meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess a bachelor of science degree in mathematics, aerospace, engineering, computer science, physics, or a related field
- Have five or more years of experience in a technical position working on space systems engineering, system definition, design and development, system architecture, simulation and/or data analysis
- Have working knowledge of algorithm development in tracking, data fusion, orbital dynamics, and analysis using a scientific programming language such as MATLAB, C , Java, or Python
- Are comfortable and effective in communicating technical topics to peer and program management audiences
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a Top Secret SCI level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Possess a master of science or doctor of philosophy degree in mathematics, engineering, computer science, physics, or a related field
- Have 5 or more years of experience in a technical position, with experience leading a team of engineers and/or scientists, with demonstrated results
- Have experience working with government programs in support of Air Force Space Command, and/or Missile Defense Agency
- Are comfortable and effective in communicating technical topics at all levels - to include peers, executive level management, and senior government leaders
- Possess an active Top Secret SCI level clearanceThe Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top