- Laurel, MD
Do you love working on large complexsystems?
Are you searching for meaningfulsystems engineering work where you can help define and architect criticalweapons systems for our military?
Do you want your work to havesignificant impact?
If so, we're looking for someonelike you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a systems engineer tohelp us define, architect, design, and evaluate current and future US Navysurface ship and submarine weapons control systems. You will join a hardworkingteam of engineers working with government and industry partners to apply systems engineering and operational expertise to solvecomplex technical problems to integrate newcapabilities.
As a Systems Engineer, your primary responsibility will be to...
- Define and analyze system, hardware and software requirements including traceability and testability, interfaces, architecture, and design products. You will then identify discrepancies and provide actionable recommendations to achieve system capabilities.
- Conduct research, trade studies, and engineering analyses, and propose concepts or solutions to address technical issues and concerns. You will then communicate resultant recommendations and supporting data to advise our US Navy customers.
- Apply systems engineering processes to and participate in technical reviews in support of Department of Defense major weapon systems development efforts.
You meet our minimum qualificationsfor the job if you…
- Possess a BS degree in systems engineering, computer science, computer engineering, or a closely related field.
- Have at least 5 years of professional experience in systems engineering work.
- Have experience in early concept development, performance analysis, systems integration, or requirements engineering activities for complex systems.
- Have excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Are willing and able to travel periodically to Government and contractor sites within the continental US approximately two-three days per month.
- Are able to obtain a Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a Government clearance investigation to determine if you meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond ourminimum requirements if you...
- Possess a MS degree in systems engineering, computer science, computer engineering, or a closely related field.
- Have additional professional experience working within a DoD systems acquisition environment.
- Have experience in weapon control systems, U.S. Navy surface combatants/submarines, Tomahawk or other strike warfare systems.
- Have familiarity with software virtualization and computing infrastructure.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University AppliedPhysics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's mostcritical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selectionof meaningful, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APLpromotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefitsand healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in theBaltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an EqualOpportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receiveconsideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex,gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status,veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top