Systems Analyst/Software Developer
The Advanced Concepts and Technologies Group (A3G) in the Combat Systems Branch of the Air and Missile Defense Sector (AMDS) is currently looking for a technical expert to take the role of a Systems Analyst. The Systems Analyst will participate in a team environment to develop modeling and simulation (M&S) tools as well as utilize those tools to support performance analysis of elements of the Aegis Weapon System (AWS) (e.g. Weapon Control System).
In AMDS we pride ourselves on pushing our highly-skilled team members to grow, specialize, and experiment in their own individual areas of interest, and to bring that unique expertise to bear on the critical challenges facing our nation. Become part of this innovative team at the forefront of groundbreaking technology development and analysis.
1) Analyze M&S results to evaluate system performance and identify system capabilities and limitations in support of Navy fleet studies and flight test events. Identify outliers and perform root cause analysis to support verification and validation of M&S tools.
2) Develop tools in Python and MATLAB to analyze system performance and visualize data in meaningful, innovative ways.
3) Implement new functionality in models written in C to capture current system capabilities as well as support algorithm development for concept and feasibility studies for future capabilities.
4) Produce documentation on system requirements, software design, technical recommendations, and analysis results. Deliver presentations to technical staff, program leadership, and sponsors.
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is a national leader in scientific research and development. In that spirit, A3G is looking to cultivate and encourage today's most innovative, ambitious, dedicated thinkers to propose new technologies and provide solutions for next-generation problems. With a vast network of cutting-edge technology and resources—and a laboratory full of brilliant minds—we invite you to apply for this competitive and rewarding position and to seize the opportunity to impact the world in which we live.
• BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering or related field.
• 1-3 years of related professional experience.
• Proficiency with one or more of the following: MATLAB, Python, and C .
• Familiarity with software revision control systems (e.g. Git, Subversion).
• Detail-oriented with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Highly self-motivated to dig into data to root cause issues and to understand system performance.
• Strong technical written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a larger team, as well as effective collaboration skills with other teams and contractors.
• Ability to obtain and interim secret clearance prior to starting.
• MS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, or related field. Proficiency with Python data science libraries (e.g. NumPy, Pandas).
• Experience developing object-oriented C software in a Linux environment.
• Familiarity with Git and debugging tools (e.g. gdb).
• Familiarity with the Atlassian tool suite (e.g. confluence, JIRA, Bitbucket, Bamboo).
• Experience developing high- or variable-fidelity models and simulations.
• Strong interpersonal and communications skills with a desire to take on leadership roles for analysis studies.
• Working knowledge of the Aegis Weapon System and/or Weapon Control System.
Special Working Conditions: N/A
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site atwww.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top