Systems Analyst & Data Link Analyst
Introduction: The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (JH APL), an independent, nonprofit organization that conducts essential research, development, experimentation, and systems engineering to address national security challenges, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a creative Systems Analyst & Data Link Analyst.
Job Summary: Participate in a team environment as a Systems Analyst and Data Link Analyst to conduct systems engineering activities (i.e., performance analysis, concept definition, requirements development, design verification & validation) for Navy and MDA Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) Systems across multiple system baselines. Serve as Aegis BMD Ground Test Analyst to interface between the MDA Joint Analysis Team (JAT), MDA Aegis Government Sponsor, and APL Data Analysis Group (DAG) Lead.
- Provide leadership for Ground Test Analysis and act as a single point of contact with the MDA Joint Analysis Team, the Navy analysts and Program Sponsor. Support the Navy Test Officer (NTO) on-site at Ground Test Events, typically in San Diego, CA, and provide quick response to any issues/ observations/ findings brought up by the NTO or JAT. Work alongside DAG Lead to root-cause all Aegis findings to deliver to the Sponsor and help define primary areas of analysis for the Mission Data Review. (35%)
- Participate in Analysis Working Groups to discuss results, concepts, innovative solutions and approaches for Aegis and BMDS communications. (30%)
- Provide subject matter expertise for military test events and real-world scenarios by conducting research, studies, and analysis to provide supporting data and associated recommendations to advise our Sponsors. (15%)
- Deliver formal presentations to Sponsors and the engineering community, effectively communicate proposed concepts and solutions and analysis results. Produce documentation to capture concept definitions, requirements, analysis results, and technical recommendations. (10%)
- Participate in development of algorithms and analysis tools for a Command and Decision simulation written in C , Python and MatLab. Work to include algorithm design, algorithm implementation, software testing, and associated documentation (10%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
BS degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Engineering or equivalent. Minimum of five years experience in systems engineering, systems analysis, and working successfully within a team environment meeting Sponsor-driven requirements and deadlines. Working knowledge of the Aegis BMD System and/ or tactical data links. Strong written and verbal communication skills. Experience using Microsoft Office products of PowerPoint and Excel. Programming familiarity with MatLab, Python, C and/or C programming languages. Ability to obtain INTERIM SECRET clearance or Active SECRET clearance.
MS degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Engineering or equivalent. Strong analytical and logical skills and attention to detail. Proven success working in a multi-disciplinary team environment. Extensive knowledge of Ballistic Missile Defense Systems, Integrated Air and Missile Defense, MDA, Communication Links, Tactical Data Links, and interoperability. Success in leading diverse, multi-disiplinary, multi-organization teams. Active TOP SECRET and SCI clearances.
Special Working Conditions:
Travel (20% or more) to local and remote contractor facilities for meetings and reviews as necessary. Travel to support occasional test events involving extended or evening hours, travel aboard ships and to field site activities.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Gianni works on the design, modeling, and simulation of low- to high-fidelity radar projects for the lab. He also conducts tests to evaluate new technologies.
Back to top