System Safety Engineer (Space Systems)
- Laurel, MD
Have you always wanted to work on space flight systems?
Are you passionate about system safety engineering and mitigating hazards associated with development, integration, test, and operation of robotic space systems?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a system safety engineer to help us plan and implement system safety programs for space flight projects. You will support a mixture of civil and national security space systems (spacecraft and payloads) of national significance.
As a system safety engineer...
- Your primary responsibility will be to develop and implement system safety programs for assigned space system development projects. You will develop documentation including system safety program plans, system safety analyses, software safety analyses, safety assessment reports, and missile system prelaunch safety packages (MSPSPs).
- You will provide input to project documents related to potential safety issues and hazard controls.
- You will participate in project requirement reviews, design reviews, and technical interchange meetings to identify potential safety issues and required hazard mitigating controls. You will lead safety reviews and system safety working groups.
- You will participate in space system assembly, integration, test, and launch operations to ensure required safety controls are implemented to preclude realization of identified hazards.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- BS Degree in a related field with 2 or more years of experience in systems safety activities and operations.
- Are familiar with NASA and DOD safety / range safety requirements for space flight hardware, ground support hardware, and safety critical software systems, including MIL-STD-882, AFSPCMAN 91-710, NASA Procedural Requirement 8715.3, NASA Procedural Requirement 8715.7, and NASA-STD-8719.24.
- Have experience performing system safety activities in support of space flight systems.
- Are an extremely good communicator with sound professional judgment.
- Have a positive attitude and be able to plan and prioritize work effort and quickly respond to a myriad of issues and questions simultaneously.
- Are able to develop effective working relationships with engineering and program management.
- Are willing and able to work in clean rooms where space flight systems are being integrated and tested. Are willing to travel to support launch site activities. Long hours and weekend work may be required.
- Are able to obtain a Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have a Masters degree.
- Have experience with space or missile system integration and test and previous experience supporting at least one launch campaign at either the Eastern Range, Western Range, or DOD missile launch facility (WSMR, PMRF, KLC).
- Have hands on experience with spacecraft integration and test.
- Have worked in for an organization with AS9100 certification.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top