System Administrator - Secured Network
Provide technical leadership in the operation and support of a large and diverse classified network environment. Support the operation and management of Windows servers, desktops, client applications,and maintain systems in accordance with applicable NISPOM/Industrial Security Standards/ODAA classified systems security practices and procedures.
- Microsoft Enterprise Management: Deploy and manage the operation of Microsoft OS enterprise servers (physical and virtualized) connected to various storage technologies including NAS and SANs. Manage and maintain systems and security policies using Active Directory and Group Policy. Work with clients and vendors to support and troubleshoot OS and hardware performance issues. Proactively monitor the health of server infrastructure to ensure server uptime SLAs are met.
- Security Compliance: Apply monthly Microsoft OS patches and 3rd party vendor security patches as needed. Provide support for software application packaging and deployment. Actively scan systems using DoD approved tools and remediate findings in accordance with policy. Evaluate and apply STIGs and harden systems according to security policy.
- Projects: Work with clients and local team members to research, recommend, and implement hardware and OS configuration required to support approved projects and initiatives.
- Communication/Documentation: Develop and maintain document repositories and architectural diagrams related to the installation, administration, maintenance, and use of systems. Give technical presentations as needed.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Systems Engineering, Information Systems or related field, or equivalent years of professional work experience.
- 5 years of professional experience in a large size Microsoft Windows System environment.
- 2 years of professional experience working in a classified environment
- Extensive experience with Windows Server operating systems, Active Directory, and Group Policy.
- Familiarity with Dell and HP blade and rack-mount servers, and EMC storage platforms.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP and networking protocols with the ability troubleshoot networking issues.
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Self-motivated and able to work in a team environment with the ability to interface with all levels of staff.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to independently resolve complex problems using current job knowledge, research data, and give technical presentations.
- Current Security or equivalent DoD 8570 IAT Level II Certification
- Current Secret with an SSBI, or Top Secret.
- MS in Computer Information Systems or a related field.
- Current CISSP or equivalent DoD 8570 IAT Level III Certification.
- Prior experience working in or supporting a classified environment
- Experience designing and configuring VMware ESXi environment with vSphere and vCenter.
- Demonstrated ability to present technical solutions and plans to senior management.
- Current Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) certification. .
Special Working Conditions:
- Occasional travel to Field Offices
- Working in closed areas
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Gianni works on the design, modeling, and simulation of low- to high-fidelity radar projects for the lab. He also conducts tests to evaluate new technologies.
Back to top