The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a synthetic chemist.
Job Summary: Support chemistry and materials science efforts at JHU/APL.
- Design and conduct synthetic chemistry experiments in collaboration with senior researchers (50%)
- Characterize the compounds synthesized using various forms of instrumental analysis (20%)
- Document and present technical work internally and externally (20%)
- Support miscellaneous duties such as laboratory instrument maintenance, stocking laboratory supplies, etc. (10%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
1. BS in chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science or a closely related field with at least 2 years experience in a laboratory environment or equivalent.
3. Experience with standard synthetic chemistry laboratory equipment and operations
4. Hands-on experience with small molecule synthesis and characterization techniques
5. Excellent oral and written communication skills
6. Strong record of successful teamwork
7. Flexibility and desire to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
Desired Qualifications: MS in chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science or related field with at least 2 years experience in a laboratory work environment including hands-on experience with Schlenk techniques, air free synthesis, NMR, GC/MS, HPLC, and FTIR.
Special Working Conditions: Must be able to work for several hours standing in a laboratory. Must be comfortable working in a fume hood. Field testing may make some travel necessary. Up to approximately 10%.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Security: Eligibility for a Secret level security clearance required. Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Back to top