Supervisor, Facilities Engineering and Design
Job Summary: Provide technical and line leadership for the activities of the in-house Engineering and Design Section staff. Supervises the design, scheduling, and technical review of new and renovated facilities on the JHU/APL campus and leased or off-site locations. Manage section operations to meet the needs of diverse programs in a highly technical, fast-changing, research and development environment.
- Engineering Design and Project Development: Provide technical leadership and direction pertaining to design solutions for facilities and infrastructure projects for various departments/sectors and their government sponsors. Assure execution of tasks, and quality and timeliness of technical design solutions through the application of best engineering practices. Develops work scope and requirements through customer input. Leads in-house staff to prepare plans, specifications, and cost estimates for projects of varying size and complexity. Leads peers within the in-house design staff to review designs for accuracy, design intent, and code compliance. Help build upon, devise, and implement standard design practices to be followed by the team.
- Personnel Management: Mentor/coach technical staff, monitor technical work, and balance section task/resource loading. Participate in the drafting personnel requisitions, interviewing candidates, and providing input for hiring decisions. Assist group leadership with staff and task planning, and strategic planning.
- Process Improvement: In concert with department leadership, actively pursue and support new service initiatives for the section and the group. Engage customers in other departments and sectors to define / develop new opportunities where the group can leverage its experience in support of new programs with critical challenges.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, or Architecture.
- 10 years’ experience directly related to duties, including mechanical and/or electrical design and operational experience with mechanical and/or electrical distribution systems; commercial/industrial building systems; maintenance and operation of building/campus utility production and distribution systems; or project management.
- Excellent working knowledge of building standards and relevant codes, CAD, cost estimating, budgeting and contract administration.
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service, organizational, computer, oral, written, presentation and communication skills.
- Flexibility to examine and analyze problems outside one’s core area of expertise.
- Ability to effectively lead small teams and mentor professional staff.
- Credentialed/licensed as a Professional Engineer or Architect, or equivalent.
- MS in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, including knowledge of energy management and control systems, with at least 10 years of relevant technical and/or line management experience.
- Experience with Building Information Modeling (BIM)
- Experience with the design and construction of secure facilities.
- Experience working on and leading technology efforts for major engineering infrastructure studies.
Special Working Conditions: Routine driving of APL owned vehicles. Must possess a valid Driver’s License. Selected candidate will be subject to a background check, including driving record. Requires occasional non-standard work hours.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top