Supervisor, Construction and Facilities Project Management
Introduction: The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a Supervisor for the Facilities Project Management Section
Job Summary: In this leadership role, the Supervisor of Facilities Project Management, will lead Project Managers, Construction Managers, and support personnel responsible for Facilities Project and Construction Management. Duties include: scheduling, budgeting, procurement oversight, design oversight, construction oversight, and commissioning for technical facilities in support of JHU/APL business areas. The Project Management Section Supervisor will support the integration of consistent project management methodologies, systems, policies/procedures, metrics, and resource scheduling. Project types include feasibility and strategic planning, new facility construction, facility “fit-ups”, facility renewal (mechanical, architectural, electrical, process piping, etc.), site development, landscaping, and paving.
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
- Personnel Management – Manage a staff of Project and Construction managers and support personnel. Ensure compliance with JHU/APL policies and procedures. Review key performance indicators to proactively address performance issues and maintain alignment with the organization’s strategic business goals.
- Project Management – Provide overall management of project portfolio and resource scheduling. Define portfolio prioritization using appropriate criteria (e.g., customer requirements, schedule, budget, dependencies, resource capacity and capability, technology) to sequence portfolio components and manage performance to schedule and cost targets.
- Staff Development and Support – Develop Project Management staff; monitor and provide performance coaching and feedback to Project Management staff on a continuing basis; manage individual and team development in conjunction with Lab and Departmental goals. Provide support for staff to meet organizational commitments.
- Project Communications – Communicate the strategic and tactical direction for all Facilities projects to the Project Management Team, stakeholders and Lab management to ensure a uniform message and approach to projects. Utilize appropriate systems to provide strong decision matrix visibility in support of Lab requirements. Provide portfolio management performance reports to support executive decision making.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, architecture, or project or construction management.
- A minimum of 10 years of increasing responsibility in construction and project management.
- Formal scheduling, resource loading, and reporting experience.
- Strong fiscal knowledge to include budgeting, forecasting, and estimating.
- Strong communication skills (both oral and written).
- Strong presentation skills.
- Prior professional staff supervisory experience.
- Prior program management experience.
- PE or Registered Architect
- Master’s degree in engineering, architecture, project or construction management, or a MBA.
- PMI, CFM, CMAA, or other professional Certification.
- Experience working in large campus environment.
- Experience managing construction of technical facilities (laboratories, data centers, clean rooms).
- Experience with construction of secure facilities.
- Experience with construction of site improvements (water, sewer, storm water, electric, natural gas, etc.).
Special Working Conditions: Routine driving of APL owned vehicles. Must possess a valid Driver’s License. Selected candidate will be subject to a background check, including driving record.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top