Do you enjoy analyzing state-of-the-art systems?
Do you have operational experience with U. S. Navy Submarine sonar and combat systems and are passionate about working with groundbreaking, next-generation technologies?
Do you want to make significant contributions to improve essential U. S. Navy Submarine sonar and combat system capabilities through operational and systems performance analysis?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join us at APL.
We are seeking a dynamic, creative and analytical candidate to help us assess the performance and influence the capability development of the U.S. Navy's submarine-based combat systems. We are looking to push the boundaries of system capabilities by providing critical system and operator performance analysis to the U.S. Navy Submarine Forces. Your contributions will help us transform data into knowledge, enabling decision-makers to make informed choices on the future direction of advanced development, integration and testing communities for the Navy's submarine-based sonar and combat systems. You will join a hardworking and expert team of engineers, subject matter analysts and software developers in an inclusive environment that values creative collaboration and innovation.
As a Submarine Combat System Analyst, you will...
- Apply operational and analytical problem solving skills to the performance analyses of U.S. Navy submarine-based combat systems. You will join a complementary team of engineers, subject matter analysts and software developers focused on assessing in-lab and at-sea system performance to inform future development decision-making and optimize operational utility and employment.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners through working groups to assess combat systems at the operational, functional, technical, and system performance level to inform the future development direction. You will research, investigate, and experiment with next-generation analysis capabilities and look for creative applications in unconventional ways. You will have to opportunity to share your analysis and methodology across multiple peer working groups and organizations.
- Collaborate with system developers and analysis team members to ensure in-lab and at-sea test scope, analysis methodology, appropriate measures of performance and data required to execute analysis are comprehensive. You will participate in advanced development planning and testing as a subject matter expert at developer/Fleet facilities or at-sea in support of assessment of submarine-based combat systems.
You meet our minimum qualifications for this position if you...
- Possess a BS degree in Engineering or equivalent and are Submarine Warfare qualified and/or have extensive relevant experience in submarine combat systems operation and training associated with detailed operational employment of submarine sonar, combat and imaging systems.
- Are passionate about applying operational experience and analytical skills in an innovative and collaborative environment.
- Have strong interpersonal skills and are skilled at developing relationships across organizational teams.
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Are proficient at multi-tasking, prioritizing assignments, communicating progress and meeting deadlines.
- Are willing to travel occasionally to participate in system test, delivery, and integration tests at sponsor or customer sites.
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a TS/SCI level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Possess a MS degree in Engineering or equivalent.
- Have 5+ years of experience leading a technical team.
- Have previous experience with evaluation of U.S. Navy combat systems performance.
- Have a strong background or previous experience in acoustics, signal processing, or mathematics.
- Have an active Top Secret level clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.