Strategic Vendor Relationship Manager
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a Strategic Vendor Manager (SVM) to develop a strategy to improve effectiveness and value of IT vendors, including negotiating contracts.
- Develop and perform to a collaboration framework with external vendors, IT and internal staff. The framework should focus on defining common goals, setting strategic priorities and requirements, streamlining process to achieve best value . (25%)
- Develop and perform to a performance management framework, which will establish annual goals, develop and monitor progress to key metrics (KPIs), establish SLA's and monitor internal customer satisfaction . (25%)
- Responsible for defining IT vendor contract requirements and partner with Procurement to effectively negotiate contract terms, SOW and other relevant contract terms. (20%)
- Identify, monitor issues and track vendor risks to ensure mitigation plans are defined. (15%)
- Establish strong relationships with staff, conduct coaching, promote career growth, manage performance, and participate in recruiting and other line supervision activities. Interact and collaborate with all levels of staff to include active participation and involvement as part of the group's management team and the department's Extended Management Team (EMT). (15%)
- Bachelor's degree in IT-related field, Finance, or equivalent years of professional business/IT operational work experience
- At least 10 years of total professional work experience with IT procurements, in the IT field, or in Finance.
- 5 or more years' experience working in IT Operations or Finance, establishing and improving vendor management frameworks in large work environments with 2,000 or more employees
- At least 3 years of supervisory experience
- Experience with negotiating a broad range of contracting vehicles (ex: SaaS, cloud, software, hardware, services, enterprise agreements, GSA), and working with small, emerging and large/mega vendors (ex: Oracle, IBM, Cisco, Mathworks, VMware)
- Solid knowledge of accounting and financial aspects of vendor management
- Experience working directly with senior executives to negotiate cost-effective licensing agreements
- Consultative work style that supports successful initiatives with all levels of management and customers across organizational boundaries
- Very strong written and oral communication skills with the proven ability to develop senior management briefings using MS PowerPoint, Word and Excel; and deliver presentations to all levels of staff.
- Skilled at maximizing vendor value in support of key organizational objectives
- Significant experience in strategic planning and project management.
- Experience with engineering applications and vendors
- Training in, and experience with, collaborative techniques, team building, dispute resolution and communication
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top