The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a Storage Engineer.
Job Summary: Work with a team of experienced operating system engineers to manage our enterprise and mid-tier storage arrays in a UNIX and Windows classified data storage environment.
- Provision storage for UNIX/Windows servers, troubleshoot and resolve issues with the storage subsystems, conduct performance tuning and provide daily operational support.
- Administer and configure Storage Area Network (SAN) and associated components, including Fibre-Channel switch administration.
- Administer and configure Network Attached Storage (NAS) and associated components.
- Provide usage analysis, capacity planning, and performance planning of storage components to ensure adequate resources are available for identified needs.
- Evaluate storage vendors’ hardware and software technologies, and make recommendations about implementing appropriate solutions at the Lab.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- B.S. or equivalent years of related professional work experience.
- 5 years of system administration experience with Linux/UNIX Servers or Windows Servers.
- 5 years of storage administration experience with fibre-channel, Block and NAS File technologies.
- Strong written and oral presentation skills, which will be used to document analysis and to give technical presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to:
- Independently resolve complex problems using current job knowledge, research data, and external resources.
- Function in a team environment as a technical contributor.
- Interface well with all levels of staff.
- Currently holds an active Secret clearance.
- Possesses a Security certification or has the ability to obtain within 6 months from date of hire.
- Experience using:
- EMC VNX, VNXe, Isilon and Unity Storage Arrays and management tools (Unisphere)
- Dell Equal Logic and QNAP NAS
- Nexsan Block and File
- Strong Knowledge of:
- Managing multiple access protocols including SMB and NFS
- SAN Design and Management and working with Brocade switches
- Zoning including multiple switches and Fabrics
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- Windows Server
Special Working Conditions:
Work in closed areas. Occasional Saturday morning hours required. Participate in a weekly after hours on-call rotation.
Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top