Stationary Engineer - 2nd Shift
We are seeking a Stationary Engineer (maintenance) to perform preventative maintenance tasks to ensure plant equipment provides reliable service over its expected economic life. The work of the Stationary Engineer will comply with the rules, regulations, and guidelines of appropriate codes, including the International Plumbing Code, National Electrical Code, and Howard County Local Code Amendments.
As a Stationary Engineer ...
- Your primary responsibility will be to perform preventative maintenance of plant facilities equipment to include: boilers, air compressors, pumps, fans, belts, bearings, filter changes, air handlers, cooling towers, etc.;
- You will perform corrective maintenance of plant facilities equipment to restore operational capability;
- You will assist Watch Engineers on duty or other trades as directed to monitor, reset, operate, repair and respond to emergencies across all APL owned and leased properties;
- You will respond to emergency plumbing, mechanical system and electrical failures by making temporary repairs to calling in senior technicians from the appropriate trades while keeping team leaders informed on status;
- You will perform water treatment chemical analysis on condenser water systems, chilled water systems and boiler water systems and make appropriate chemical additions to maintain water system treatment at acceptable levels;
- You will receive regularly scheduled training as required by EPA and OSHA/MOSH in the use of MSDS, respirators, scaffolding, ladders, fall protection gear, lockout/tagout, forklifts, aerial platforms and confined space.
- You will perform these job duties in all APL campus buildings or structures, including those which house laboratories which handle special materials and is an essential function of this job.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a high school diploma, or the math and language skill set equivalent to that of a high school graduate.
- Have the equivalent of 4-7 years of formal on-the-job training (each year of accredited school equates to one year of training) acquired at the journeyman level or beyond as a Stationary Engineer, Plumber or HVACR technician.
- Have the ability to obtain a State of Maryland Grade 5 Stationary Engineer's license within twelve (12) months of hire date.
- Have the ability to use hand tools, power tools and test equipment with a working knowledge of applicable plumbing and mechanical codes.
- Are able to work independently and in teams to perform preventive and corrective maintenance, and the ability to read blueprints, sketches, O&M Manuals and diagrams.
- Possess a working knowledge of personal computers and basic applications and experienced in the use of a Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS).
- Possess a valid state-of-residence driver's license.
- Are willing and able to work 3:00pm to 11:30pm, Monday thru Friday shift with possible overtime or emergency call-ins.
- You will use personal protective equipment and work outside in inclement weather conditions.
- Have the ability to lift/carry 50 pounds, undergo periodic occupational physicals, and operate APL vehicles and industrial equipment.
- Are a U.S. citizen.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Possess a State of Maryland Journeyman HVACR license, Journeyman Plumbing license, or Grade 3 Stationary Engineer's license.
- Have welding skills or the ability to operate a forklift.
- Experience in emergency response, hazardous materials handling, applicable OSHA/EPA regulations, or CFC Certification.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top