Sr. Machine Learning (ML) Researcher
- Laurel, MD
Would you like to be a part of an organization that values innovation, talent and thinking outside of the box?
Are you passionate about developing novel solutions to our Nation's greatest technical challenges?
If so, we are looking for someone like you to join our team at APL!
The Analytic Capabilities Group of the Asymmetric Operations Sector is looking for a Senior Machine Learning (ML) Researcher to develop inventive, cutting-edge solutions for training and applying machine learning algorithms to problems of national interest. Candidate will be working with team developing ML algorithms that can operate at the tactical edge. The candidate will have the chance of working on the state of the art hardware for application of Deep Learning and other ML algorithms.
As a Sr. Machine Learning (ML) Researcher, you will:
- Primarily develop state-of-the-art ML and data mining algorithms to operate on very large data sets collected under challenging operational environments, and to provide robust situation assessment/awareness and predictive capabilities of potential future threats.
- Perform prototype implementation of the developed ML algorithms on low Size, Weight, and Power (SWaP) hardware such as graphical processing units (GPUs), Tensor Processing Units (TPUs), field programmable gate arrays (FPGAs) and neuromometic chips like the IBM TrueNorth.
- Share knowledge by clearly articulating ideas through papers and presentations to technical staff, management and government decision makers. Publish research findings in peer-reviewed literature. Collaborate to document and support software analytics.
- Work with program office for reporting technical accomplishments and project deliverables, and to engage sponsor organizations for communicating capabilities and impact of research and develop concepts of operation with mission relevance.
- Potentially travel on a limited basis to customer sites as required.
You'll meet our minimum qualifications if you have...
- A Master's degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related field with emphasis on computer science and machine learning; strong problem solving skills
- Experience dealing with real-world large data sets
- Experience with pattern recognition, statistical analysis
- Are fluent with some of the following implementation languages: Python, R, Matlab, JAVA, or C /C
- The ability to work independently or within a group
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Are able to obtain a Top Secret clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum qualifications if you have...
- A PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related field with emphasis on computer science and machine learning.
- A proven track record in designing and developing machine learning and data mining algorithms for solving interdisciplinary problems
- Experience with data-driven predictive model development, unstructured text mining, natural language processing, anomaly and novelty detection
- Experience with some of the following Deep Learning frameworks: Keras, TensorFlow, CAFFE 2 as well as hands-on experience with implementation of algorithms in Jetson TX2 GPU, IBM TrueNorth and Raspberry Pi.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top