Sr. Health Software Systems Engineer
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is a national leader in scientific research and development. APL is actively seeking a Senior Software Systems Engineer to support the National Health Mission Area (NHMA).
The NHMA seeks to revolutionize health through science and engineering in collaboration with partners such as the John Hopkins Enterprise to discover, invent, scale, and disseminate solutions to health and healthcare challenges. The Health Systems Engineering Group supports the NHMA by retaining technical competencies in systems engineering, software engineering, systems analysis, healthcare domain knowledge, population health management, and project management with particular application to healthcare challenges. The Health Systems Engineering Group is seeking a highly skilled and motivated Senior Software Systems Engineer to support its healthcare systems work. The qualified candidate must be a systems thinker with a broad understanding of current challenges in health management and healthcare systems. The successful candidate will provide overarching technical leadership for multidisciplinary, cross-organizational projects by applying best practices in systems, software and computer engineering to healthcare challenges, will serve as a systems engineering expert, and will liaise with clinical staff in support of re-engineering technologies, information, and workflows to improve patient safety and healthcare system reliability.
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
- Lead key technical efforts by applying and tailoring best practices of software, computer, and systems engineering and project management. Provide technical leadership to guide the development of customer solutions. Furnish capabilities that meet sponsor needs and conform to the constraints of scope, schedule, and budget for our sponsors. Manage expectations of sponsors, and other internal and external stakeholders, by identifying, mitigating, and communicating risks on these projects. Foster cross-organizational trust amongst distributed teams. Establish and promote a climate conducive to intellectual curiosity, creativity, innovation, collaboration, growth, productivity, and respect for others. (70%)
- Support existing or new business activities to expand or refine the scope of the programs within the National Health mission area and explore related opportunities tied to challenges in other mission areas. Help develop and guide the execution strategy required to revolutionize the National Health Mission area, which may include supporting sponsor engagement meetings, proposal writing, and concept development. (20%)
- Participate in technical project reviews, promote systems engineering best practices, and ensure that deliverables are furnished on-time, within budget, and according to APL technical quality standards. Communicate often and effectively with staff, Section Supervisors, and Group Supervisor. (10%)
This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- MS in engineering, computer science, or information systems, at least 15 years of complex computing technology and integrated systems level engineering development.
- 10 years or more of technical project or program management experience.
- Experience in software systems development, testing, and deployment using Agile and Planned Software Development Lifecycle.
- Experience with deploying complex software products or systems (e.g. software as a service) to modern computing infrastructure to support healthcare data management and processing is essential.
- Experience usability evaluations and user experience design.
- Strong demonstrated skills in leadership, organization, and planning.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to establish relationships and effectively interact with all levels of staff and management, external sponsors, including briefing executive-level sponsors.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead a multidisciplinary team of technical staff in solving complex problems.
- Advanced degree in systems engineering, computer science, information systems or 15 years of relevant professional software systems engineering experience.
- Exposure to U.S. Military Health System, related vocabulary, and data systems.
- Previous formal line management experience.
Special Working Conditions:
Ability to travel up to 10%.
Eligibility for a Secret Clearance required. Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Gianni works on the design, modeling, and simulation of low- to high-fidelity radar projects for the lab. He also conducts tests to evaluate new technologies.
Back to top