Spacecraft Power System Engineer
- Laurel, MD
Are you passionate about space?
Do you like contributing to space flight missions?
Are you looking for meaningful work in spacecraft power systems?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL. We are seeking a Power System Engineer to help us develop power systems for space flight missions. You will be joining a dedicated team of engineers that conceive, develop, test, launch and fly spacecraft power components and systems.
As a Spacecraft Power System Engineer…
- Your primary responsibility will be to lead APL power systems development for one or more space flight missions.
- You will perform conceptual design studies and help develop mission proposals.
- You will lead subsystem and hardware component requirements development, develop test plans and perform requirements verification.
- You will determine battery capacities, solar array sizes, and predict system performance.
- You will lead power system integration and test onto spacecraft, and support launch and flight operations.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you…
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related discipline.
- Have 8-15 years of experience developing spacecraft power systems.
- Are familiar with common power system topologies.
- Have experience with primary power regulation and distribution hardware.
- Are skilled in solar array performance prediction, battery sizing and energy analyses.
- Are able to support in overnight travel to component vendors up to 10% of the time.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Hold an Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Have previously led power system development for a flight program.
- Have experience with earned value management.
- Hold an active Security Clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top