Space Weather Modeler
Introduction: The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a Space Weather Modeler
Job Summary: Model space weather impacts on Civil Space science and DoD applications and design systems, applications, and/or instruments to determine needs and assess solutions to those needs.
- Model space weather impacts and develop funding and strategies to both develop the constituency and address the needs
- Analysis of interpretation of data and observations
- Proposals, studies, papers and presentations etc.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- Ph.D. or equivalent experience in Space Physics; Aerospace, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering; or Physics
- At least 5 years experience in a relevant field and experience in space physics, space physics modeling, and space weather data analysis.
- The successful candidate must have the capability to perform basic and applied research in space weather, space weather modeling, complex data analysis, especially relevant to space weather parameters from space-based sensors.
- The candidate should also possess basic skills in numerical methods and/or high-level programming languages such as Python, IDL, Matlab, etc.
- The candidate will interface extensively with other scientists, projects, and programs, so strong communications and interpersonal skills are a must.
Desired Qualifications: Demonstrated ability to develop a funded research program, excellent communication skills as evidenced by a record of publications
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top