Space Communications Strategist
- Laurel, MD
Are you an experienced communications manager with a proven track record in building public engagement programs?
Are you skilled at building and coordinating strategic communications initiatives and products tailored to different target audiences?
Do you have a passion for space exploration?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
As a Space Communications Strategist,
- Your primary responsibility will be to manage the overall communications strategy to build effective public engagement across all APL space programs, including missions and instruments both in development and operation, as well as research findings.
- You will coordinate APL's numerous space communications efforts, for Lab leadership and external stakeholders.
- You will build and coordinate strategic communications products, including brochures, website content, graphics and visualizations, multimedia products, campaigns, and social media.
- You will compile metrics on behalf of the entire Laboratory to measure the effectiveness of outreach and communications efforts, and developing strategies to achieve higher impact.
- You will maintain cognizance of NASA public engagement activities and identify opportunities for expansion and coordination of APL space outreach and communications efforts.
- You will forge creative partnerships with space science social media and advocacy groups, documentary producers, influencers, and artists to multiplex the reach of space outreach in collaboration with Laboratory external media relations.
- You will serve as a liaison between APL communications team members/groups and the space mission areas to ensure consistency in messaging and products.
- You will draft press releases in coordination with scientists, engineers, and Laboratory leaders.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have:
- A proven track record of leading strategic communications initiatives and external communications campaigns, both quick turn and long-term
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Experience working with a variety of creative professionals and media, including print, video, graphics, web and social
- Self-motivation and ability to influence with demonstrated ability to assess situations, collaborate across the organization, make timely decisions and communicate these decisions clearly to all levels of the organization
- An ability to work in a dynamic environment as an agile member of a diverse team
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy, organization and follow-through
- Ability to work on deadline, set priorities and work independently
- Strong verbal communication skills with an ability to present ideas coherently and persuasively
- Bachelor's Degree in communications, journalism, public relations or a space-related field
- 10 years of experience working in the communications field
- Are able to obtain a Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Experience leading a team of four or more
- Experience in communications with a space exploration organization or company
- Experience working across multiple levels of an organization
- Experience producing videos or writing scripts
- Media relations experience
- Experience in graphic design
- A master's degree in communications, journalism, public relations or a space-related field.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program. APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top