Space and Missile Defense Test Engineer
Do you have an interest in supporting the nation's missile defense systems?
Are you an authority in leading test and evaluation efforts?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL of scientists and engineers dedicated to applying space-based technology in the defense of our nation.
We are seeking a systems engineer to lead the team testing and evaluating the performance missile defense systems using state of the art spacecraft observations and analyses. The applicant should have knowledge and experience with space and missile defense systems and a dream to solve the nation's challenges.
As a Space and Missile Defense Systems Test Engineer ...
- Your primary responsibility will be to lead the JHUAPL Spacebased Kill Assessment (SKA) MDA flight test support effort. Serve as the primary point of contact for the SKA program and the Missile Defense Agency (MDA) flight test community. Coordinate among the team leads to identify, optimize, and ensure proper resources are in place to successfully support test activities. Craft documents to implement procedures that will accurately assess test outcomes by coordinating with project leadership, team leads and technical groups as appropriate.
- You will establish flight testing requirements that provide needed information and satisfy necessary pre-test and post-test inputs. Devise and develop supportable flight test plans and procedures for SKA flight test participation efforts in conjunction with team members.
- You will manage and oversee analyses to build pre-test predictions and post-test assessments of SKA's performance. Participate in assessing that tests are accurately executed and systems are functioning properly. Provide quick-look assessments of performance.
- You will develop a creative strategy and subsequent ground-breaking capability for participation in future tests. This includes but is not limited to working with MDA to build SKA into the relevant reviews.
- You will identify and develop business opportunities in related fields; conduct sponsor engagements, and author proposals.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a B.S. in engineering, physical sciences, or mathematics plus 7 years of experience in space/missile defense systems with an emphasis on testing. OR M.S. in engineering, physical sciences, or mathematics plus 4 years of experience in space/missile defense systems with an emphasis on testing.
- Have experience working within MDA's test planning and execution processes.
- Have experience with tools such as Satellite Tool Kit (STK), MATLAB.
- Are willing and able to [special working conditions like travel, schedule, lifting/walking]
- Hold an active Secret or higher security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have M.S. in engineering, physical sciences, or mathematics.
- Have 10 years of experience in MDA testing.
- Hold an active Top Secret/SCI clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top