The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a Software/Computer Engineer.
Develop software applications associated with signal exploitation and communication devices and systems for the intelligence community.
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
1. Develop graphical user interfaces and signal processing algorithms and implement them for testing in bench, field, and real-world proof-of-concept prototype systems. (60%)
2. Refine and integrate prototype code with government and commercial platforms. Rapidly migrate real-time data analysis tools and signal exploitation algorithms to platform specific applications. (20%)
3. Develop and document formal and informal software requirements and specifications from written high-level specifications and simulations of operational algorithms to support development and testing. (10%)
4. Document work in formal technical reports and informal memoranda. Present work to sponsors and the technical community. (5%)
5. Participate in field evaluation of applications. Rapidly modify/update software in field according to test results and in response to emergent technical and operational requirements. (5%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
BS degree in computer science, software engineering, computer engineering, electrical engineering, or equivalent with 3 – 5 years of experience in using C, C , C#, or Java development for software application and user interface design and implementation. Strong oral and written communication skills. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work independently, and demonstrated ability to work effectively in small teams and as part of a multi-organizational team.
MS degree in computer science, software engineering, computer engineering, electrical engineering or equivalent with 5 – 10 years of experience developing software applications and user interfaces, particularly for signal detection and communications systems. Extensive expertise in C, C , C#, or Java. Willingness to work on quick-reaction projects in support of sponsor’s operational requirements. Fundamental understanding of RF communication technologies and devices.
Special Working Conditions: Limited travel will be required. Candidates must be eligible for DoD clearance requiring background investigation and/or polygraph. Preference for current SSBI.
Security: The successful candidate will be subject to a government security investigation, must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include US citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top