Software Systems Engineer (El Segundo, CA)
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a System Engineer with experience in communications systems and software development.
Job Summary: Software systems engineer to work closely with Government sponsors to develop system CONOPS, define architectures for sponsor solutions in DoDAF construct, work with stake holders to define system requirements and assist sponsors to ensure user needs are met.
- Design, develop, prototype, analyze, and test applications related to satellite systems, distributed computing, data networks, network simulation, and tactical network performance and vulnerability assessment.
- Apply systems engineering processes to define and translate concepts, identify architecture technical requirements. Participate in system design, development, prototyping, demonstration and testing efforts. Work as part of a Government team to validate and verify design specifications, document requirements, review and critique system verification plan / procedures, and analyze system performance vs. requirements and user needs.
- Interact closely with multiple stakeholders, system and software engineers to arrive at a consensus on the design, development and test phases of the program. Present analysis, propose technical solutions, model and measure performance, and validate results.
- Participate as a member of the team to evaluate contractor's proposals for the follow on system then provide contractor oversight to ensure the developed system meets user needs while containing program risks. Additionally, brief approach, implementation and progress to APL management and sponsors.
- Perform required tasks in a manner consistent with APL quality processes.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- BS in Computer Sciences, Systems Engineering or Electrical Engineering or related disciplines.
- 1-2 years of strong systems engineering and software development experience with emphasis on requirements definition, DoD 5000, DoDAF, satellite system development,throughput analysis and simulation, communications link performance, and system vulnerability assessment.
- Demonstrate strong analytical and problem solving skills with solid understanding of digital communications, RF communications and SATCOM.
- Apply software system engineering methodologies, principles, and concepts to solve communication systems related challenges.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a dynamic environment that includes working with changing needs and requirements.
- The applicant should demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, be able to work independently, work as a team player and work closely with sponsors.
- Experience with SMC missions is a must.
- The applicant must demonstrate outstanding written and oral communication skills and good organizational skills.
- TS/SCI Clearance required.
MS in Systems Engineering, ElectricalEngineering, or Computer Science related disciplines and 5 years of frontend systems engineering and software development experience with emphasis on developing ground and space segments. Working knowledge of modeling and simulation is desired. Experience in Space Situational Awareness as well as Model Based Systems Engineering tools in desired. Strong design and development skills are desired.
Special Working Conditions: Requires occasional travel.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship. Applicant must meet the requirements for access to classified information and have a current TS/SCI.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Lead RF Systems Engineer
Mary Ann builds prototypes and integrates software and hardware communications in order to create complete systems for APL contracts and projects. She also collaborates with her team to fix software issues.
Back to top