Software Systems Engineer
Summary: Software system engineer with strong leadership skills to work closely with other system engineers and Government sponsors to define, develop and evaluate system software architectures, associated processes, and direct technical efforts.
- Apply system engineering processes to define and translate concepts and to identify architectural technical requirements, for (but not limited to) space mission systems. Participate in system design, software design, development, prototyping, demonstration and testing efforts. Validate and verify design specifications, document requirements, review system verification plans.
- Specify software processes and provide oversight of processes to all members of the team. Provide overarching technical leadership. Provide software system oversight to external team members. Interact closely with multiple stakeholders including other members of the system engineering team, the software development teams, and program management.
- Develop and deliver peer reviews and formal presentations to sponsors and engineering community including project team. Effectively communicate proposed concepts/solutions and analysis results. Produce documentation to capture concept definitions, requirements, analysis results, and technical recommendations.
- Participate in collaboration activities consistent with Agile software development methodologies. Perform required tasks in a manner consistent with APL quality processes.
You should have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- 10 years of experience in full software development life cycle including experience with real-time embedded software
- 1-2 years of software system engineering experience
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, initiative, and follow-through
- Strong analytical problem solving skills and leadership characteristics, including the ability to visualize, select and communicate system level solutions and processes and technical directions
- Experience in leading teams in full software development life cycle
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a dynamic environment that includes working with changing needs and requirements
Would be nice to have:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- Experience in software cost estimation and proposal development
- Familiarity with acceptance testing of flight software systems and test environments
- Experience with modern software development, Agile software development methodologies
- Familiarity with NASA Procedural Requirements (NPRs)
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top