Software System Architect
- Laurel, MD
Are you searching for interesting, meaningful software development work where you can design and architect large-scale software systems, often from the ground up?
Do you enjoy digging into complex, multi-disciplinary challenges and building software that meets those challenges?
Are you passionate about cutting-edge technology and developing methods for deploying those techniques at scale?
If so, this is the perfect opportunity for you.
As a Software System Architect, you will...
Join a team of experienced and motivated technical professionals like yourself to help solve some of the toughest problems in cyberspace operations. We work as a multi-disciplinary team of software engineers, systems engineers, and domain experts to create and implement robust and effective systems using the most powerful techniques available. We care about making a real-world impact and solving the operational needs of the U.S. government agencies and military organizations that we serve.
- Design large-scale, complex software systems and help guide overall software development as solutions are developed and deployed.
- Use your knowledge of systems engineering to ensure that software systems are being developed in an effective, orderly manner.
- Work with stakeholders and decision makers to ensure software systems meet their complex, varied operational needs, while communicating appropriate technical risk and limitations.
- Translate stakeholder needs into requirements and manage the transformation of those requirements into a comprehensive software architecture.
- Use your deep knowledge of software tools and platforms to select the best ones that meet operational needs and allow for timely and robust software development.
- Ensure high quality in software systems by incorporating best practices in software review, feedback, testing, and independent verification and validation (IV&V).
- Use your expertise and experience to mentor and guide fellow team members and develop future leaders and technical experts.
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams in order to incorporate technical elements from all relevant areas into the solution architecture.
- Explore the cutting edge of software development and technology in order to formalize and incorporate new methods into current practice.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you…
- Possess a BS in computer science, engineering, math or other relevant discipline with an emphasis on software development.
- Have 10 years of experience developing applications in C , Java, Python, or comparable languages.
- Have experience with designing large-scale software system architectures and working with large, complex code bases.
- Have worked with large software development teams and have deep experience with all phases of the software development lifecycle.
- Have a full understanding of the systems engineering lifecycle and how requirements, specifications, and testing methodologies are employed at scale.
- Are experienced with software development tools, build systems, issue trackers, and integration processes.
- Are able to obtain a Top Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You go above and beyond the required qualifications if you…
- Possess a master’s degree or PhD in a related discipline.
- Are familiar with large scale web application architectures and concepts such as high availability, scaling and redundancy, system performance measurement, and user interface design and human factors.
- Have an active TS/SCI clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top