- Laurel, MD
Are you searching for meaningful work in developing cyberspace capabilities?
Are you passionate about complex cyber domain problems?
Do you like contributing to the development of resilient cyber platforms?
We are seeking a motivated and creative software systems developer to help us develop and analyze software for cyber platforms for government and military sponsors. We care about quality design and development for cyberspace capabilities to make an operational impact, and we invite you to be part of a creative team that implements solutions to large-scale, complex problems in the cyber operations domain. We encourage collaboration across the laboratory as we seek to build state-of-the-art capabilities. We work closely with systems engineers, end users, and sponsors to understand needs and develop overall solutions that will meet operational needs.
Your primary responsibility will be to design, develop, and test software solutions for advanced cyber operations applications.
- You will analyze systems to understand system functionality and identify potential defects, vulnerabilities, and inefficiencies.
- You will automate key software development activities, including integration, testing, deployment, and issue monitoring.
- You will foster relationships with sponsors and end-users to define requirements of the operational environment and promote the system engineering activities necessary for software systems.
- You will contribute to technical project evaluations and promote good software development practices and methodologies. You may provide technical direction and mentoring to other team members.
- You will research, investigate, and experiment with new technologies and look for creative new uses of software technologies in unconventional ways.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess a BS in computer science, software engineering, computer engineering, electrical engineering, math, or equivalent with an emphasis on software development.
- Have 3 years of experience developing applications in C , Java, Python, or a comparable object-oriented language.
- Have experience with software architecture and can articulate the full software development lifecycle.
- Have the ability to rapidly learn new languages and frameworks and work in small, multi-disciplinary teams.
- Are willing and able to travel on a limited basis.
- Are able to obtain Top Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government clearance investigation which requires you to meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You go above and beyond the required qualifications if you...
- Have a masters degree or PhD in a related discipline
- Can provide software engineering and development experience with examples of leadership on software teams.
- Are experienced in using professional software development tools such as software design tools, version control, issue trackers, debuggers and continuous integration tools and willing to lead teams through integration processes.
- Have an active TS/SCI clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top