Do you enjoy developing software that integrates multiple disciplines to enable something greater than the sum of its parts?
Are you passionate about using innovative technology to solve critical technical challenges for the defense of the US and its allies?
Are you searching for a collaborative, diverse work environment?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL. We are looking for a Software Engineer to join a close-knit prototyping team developing capabilities that enable warfighters to harness a diverse set of sensors and data sources to accomplish a variety of missions critical to our nation's defense.
As a Software Engineer, you will...
- Prototype solutions to address critical warfighter operational shortfalls through research, concept exploration, design, implementation, and evaluation as a member of an established team that has fielded numerous highly regarded capabilities across multiple platforms. Subject areas differ widely over time, but current projects focus on improving the exploitation of airborne sensor data, such as: signals data processing, tactical data links, and multi-sensor data correlation.
- Perform system design and software implementation of proof-of-concept prototypes incorporating a variety of engineering disciplines
- Support prototype demonstrations or experiments at military facilities, and enable the transition of capabilities to government or industry.
You meet the minimum qualifications for this position if you...
- Possess a BS degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related technical field.
- Have at least 3 years of experience in complex software development and significant knowledge of C/C++/Java in a Linux/Unix environment.
- Are highly creative and interested in novel challenges.
- Are a self-starter able to work effectively in a demanding, multi-tasking environment.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Are able to work collaboratively in a close team.
- Have a strong ability to successfully apply educational background to real-world engineering problems.
- Are willing and able to travel periodically to travel to and work at military facilities.
- Are able to obtain a Top Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Possess a MS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related technical field.
- Have at least 5 years of experience with complex software development and are proficient with C/C++/Java in a Linux/Unix Environment.
- Have interest and initiative to grow into a leadership position.
- Have desire to support occasional travel and work at miltary facilities including underway on US Navy ships and aircraft.
- Possess an active Secret, Top Secret, or TS/SCI clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.